Girl collapses from eating chicken nuggets since age 2

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Girl
In summary, 17-year-old Stacey Irvine collapsed after eating chicken nuggets for the first time in 15 years. She has breathing problems and anaemia, and only consumes chicken nuggets and fries as her only food. Her parents say she would not have been fat if she didn't consume excess calories.
gravenewworld
Good job parents

Hooked on chicken nuggets: Girl, 17, who has eaten nothing else since age TWO rushed to hospital after collapsing

Stacey Irvine has breathing problems and anaemia
Only other food she eats regularly are fries
But despite warnings cannot resist McDonald's treats

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...alds-chicken-nuggets-age-2.html#ixzz1ktVDhwrP

Physics news on Phys.org
gravenewworld said:
Good job parents

Is dailymail.co.uk a reliable paper? Or is it a rag?

I don't know.

But I wouldn't put any credence in the story until I had a better idea of the paper's reputation.

This sounds a lot like the silly stories in rags, like "Boy will die if he laughs".

DaveC426913 said:

I don't know.

But I wouldn't put any credence in the story until I had a better idea of the paper's reputation.

For off beat stories such as this it is OK.

In my family (the one I grew up in and the one I raised), picky eaters were unheard of. I don't know if we were just lucky, or if there is a genetic component (e.g., we have no supertasters).

IMO, from the time kids eat solid food, they should eat what their parents eat. And if that is expected of them, and there is no alternative, that's what they will do.

But I've seen this sort of thing in *lots* of families, where the kids dictate what they will and won't eat. Sigh.

gravenewworld said:
For off beat stories such as this it is OK.

By OK, do you mean accurate? Because, frankly, I don't believe a thing in that story is real.

Have you posted this for critique? (I do not think it meets PF criteria for posting because it's a rag.)
Have you posted this for entertainment? (Your opening comment suggests otherwise.)

Last edited:
Sounds like "News of the Weird" to me. They specialize in not only collecting such stories but trying to verify them. They even rate them for weirdness and downgrade them the more common such stories become.

http://www.newsoftheweird.com/

She does not look like the kind of person I expected to see when I saw 'eating chicken nuggets since age 2"

lisab said:
In my family (the one I grew up in and the one I raised), picky eaters were unheard of. I don't know if we were just lucky, or if there is a genetic component (e.g., we have no supertasters).

IMO, from the time kids eat solid food, they should eat what their parents eat. And if that is expected of them, and there is no alternative, that's what they will do.

But I've seen this sort of thing in *lots* of families, where the kids dictate what they will and won't eat. Sigh.

In my family, it only took one missed dinner to get over being picky by bedtime the same night. There was no bargaining or negotiating. We were given two choices with every meal...eat what is served, or be hungry. Once in a while, my mom made two vegetables instead of one, and we were allowed to choose one if we didn't want both, but skipping the vegetable entirely wasn't allowed. Amazing how fast you learn to tolerate a variety of foods when you just don't get the choice.

DaveC426913 said:

I don't know.

This sounds a lot like the silly stories in rags, like "Boy will die if he laughs".

It is in more "mainstream" news too. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57367638-10391704/british-teen-stacey-irvine-hospitalized-after-eating-nothing-but-chicken-nuggets-for-15-years/

Ooooh, mainstream news is so much more respectable.

Last edited by a moderator:
wuliheron said:
Ooooh, mainstream news is so much more respectable.

LOL! That's why I put it in quotes, but Dave wanted to see it coming from another source to even consider the claim.

Personally, I think she had to be eating something else in all this time...perhaps juices as beverages? Or maybe Mom was sneaking vitamins into her nuggets? Maybe ketchup is more of a vegetable than I give it credit for? If not, I think she'd have wound up hospitalized with a severe nutrient deficiency much sooner.

What's interesting is looking at the comments on the site from readers. They seemed to expect she'd be fat. If she didn't consume excess calories, she wouldn't be fat. I'm more surprised she's not thinner, or bow-legged from ricketts.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:

It's a respectable tabloid paper - i.e. they don't just make stuff up to sell copies. Their op-ed pieces are pretty far to the right of the UK political spectrum.

It's gone down hill quite a bit since the 1960s, when one of their columnists Bernard Levin was described by the London Times newpaper as "the most famous jouralist of his day". FWIW Levin was a major influence in Arianna Stassinopoulos (now Huffington)'s early career.

But "Daily Mail Reader" is UK shorthand for somebody, probably not very well educated, who thinks the country is going to the dogs, and would probably like to see hanging and flogging reintroduced to fix that.

DaveC426913 said:
By OK, do you mean accurate? Because, frankly, I don't believe a thing in that story is real.

Not even a nugget of truth?

lisab said:

No kidding. It drives me nuts when I see kids running the show.

Then I remember the program that my cats have going...

I've seen the story here in Australian newsites.

It reminds me somewhat of Supersize Me and considering what the doctors were telling the guy after not even a months time (i.e. you could die), then I hate to think the condition that the girl is in if she has done this for years if the story is true.

It says she ate "Nothing" but chicken nuggets in the title and then "little else" but chicken nuggets and chips. Sounds kind of ambiguous. The daily mail is famous for saying everything gives you cancer. Not literally everything, just lots of things...

Last edited:
The star of the show is definitely her mother. She deserves a Nobel for stupidity

Maui said:
The star of the show is definitely her mother. She deserves a Nobel for stupidity

She isn't the best mother, but one thing I have noticed is that nowadays there seems to be some kind of taboo with 'disciplining' children.

You should see the regulations, rules and protocols that surround working with children nowadays in comparison to even 50 years ago. It has become an absolute legal nightmare for some people, and as a result the children can do things and the situation unfortunately is that the people working with children can not discipline them.

Some of this even carries over to high school and can apply to people as high as 17 or 18.

I see it as the era that ended the ability for parent to actually do their job, not because they can't (or don't want to), but because of the environment and context that children are growing up in.

Sadly I also see in many circumstances the decline of personal responsibility as well.

chiro said:
She isn't the best mother, but one thing I have noticed is that nowadays there seems to be some kind of taboo with 'disciplining' children.

You should see the regulations, rules and protocols that surround working with children nowadays in comparison to even 50 years ago. It has become an absolute legal nightmare for some people, and as a result the children can do things and the situation unfortunately is that the people working with children can not discipline them.

Some of this even carries over to high school and can apply to people as high as 17 or 18.

I see it as the era that ended the ability for parent to actually do their job, not because they can't (or don't want to), but because of the environment and context that children are growing up in.

Sadly I also see in many circumstances the decline of personal responsibility as well.

The problem is often the transition from abusive parenting traditions. In Florida one county decided child abuse is illegal, so they'd send the cops the next time someone complained. When people realized they weren't just sending social workers anymore, the calls increased so much they had to double the police force and quadruple the social workers. There is also a new nationwide volunteer program in the US run by survivors of child abuse, but in countries like Sweden they've outlawed striking or hitting a child altogether and even shaming them in public.

Parents may want to stop abusing their children, but usually don't have a clue how to raise them without hitting and yelling at them. Social workers and volunteers can help, but bottom line its something that can take a few generations for families to figure out and start passing on to the subsequent generations. The situation is also very similar to what occurred with battered women in the US. We had a national humane society for abused animals before the first shelter for battered women opened. The subject is taboo and the idea of the state or anyone else interfering is taboo so instead you get endless lawsuits and new laws dealing with the problem in an ad hoc manner.

Last edited:
If the story is completely true, this started when the girl was two! While I might have sympathy that it's difficult to do much about a teen on a self-destructive path, I have no sympathy when it comes to having common sense about a two-year old. Even if one desperate day an outing of some sort or another runs long and yoy've run out of packed snacks and let a two year old have a chicken nugget or two to hold them over until you get home for a proper dinner, the parent has complete control of food choices at that age. Why do you keep buying chicken nuggets? This should have been ended on day 2 of this diet.

Poll.

1. This story has enough holes to drive a truck through.
2. The pants of this story are on fire.
3. The nose of this story grows.
4. This story lies like a rug.
5. Cute girl. Cheap date too.

Last edited:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Cheap date too.
:rofl:

Moonbear said:
If the story is completely true

Is it even possible for someone to survive on only chicken nuggets?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Is it even possible for someone to survive on only chicken nuggets?

I don't think so. There had to be some other foods she was eating. I think it's more likely she had McNuggets often, or with every meal, but not as her only food. And why would this story even get reported to the media unless she released it herself for some other motive?

Moonbear said:
I don't think so. There had to be some other foods she was eating. I think it's more likely she had McNuggets often, or with every meal, but not as her only food. And why would this story even get reported to the media unless she released it herself for some other motive?
I'm sure she has no proof. Could just be out to get some attention, possibly hoping to get money?

I don't buy it. The Daily Mail is a rag. That young lady is slim and trim enough that I'd have a hard time accepting that she had only eaten chicken nuggets from McDonalds for all these years.

DaveC426913 said:

I don't know.

Second most popular national newspaper after the Sun.
It's a tabloid filled with sensationalism and scaremongering. Written for old people who like to be outraged at things.

Story is real though.

Last edited:
turbo said:
I don't buy it. The Daily Mail is a rag. That young lady is slim and trim enough that I'd have a hard time accepting that she had only eaten chicken nuggets from McDonalds for all these years.
I also think that there's more to the story than what's printed. She's not morbidly obese so fortunately she must be limiting how much she eats (if the story has any truth to it). If that's all she is eating though, I'm not surprised that she's in the hospital. I am surprised that it would take 15 years.

I worked at McDonalds for two weeks when I was a teenager and only ate that food for the entire time. It did things to my digestive system that I had never seen before - or since.

Last edited:
xxChrisxx said:
Story is real though.
On what do you base this judgement?

Jimmy Snyder said:
On what do you base this judgement?

It's in the newspapers, important word being the word newspaper. It's not fictionstorytime paper is it? News is a list of facts, and they don't lie, nor does the mail, so it must be real.

You are just disbelieving.

Or

I live fairly close to Castle Vale and heard it the same way Marvin Gaye did.

Last edited:
Sorry Chris, the older I get the more often stuff flies over my head.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Sorry Chris, the older I get the more often stuff flies over my head.

You may be having me on here :confused:. You did get the Marvin Gaye reference didn't you?
Local gossip, the story has at least some element of truth to it, quite how much is sensationalism is unknown.I would guess that this is a case of the only meat she has with her main meal is a baked/fried reformed chicken bits. This is how it was reported in some other papers. Not the sole thing she eats all day everyday McNuggets from McDonalds.

It's not that much of a stretch becuase I know someone who only ate chicken dippers as his 'meat'.

lisab said:

It was the same growing-up in my house as well. My parents' response to complaining was, "This isn't a restaurant." And that was the end of the discussion.

We've actually stopped hanging out with a couple who have three kids that completely run the show; it's too frustrating to be around.

1. What could have caused the girl to collapse from eating chicken nuggets since age 2?

There are a few potential factors that could have contributed to the girl's collapse. It is possible that she has a food allergy or intolerance to an ingredient in the chicken nuggets, such as gluten or dairy. Another possibility is that she has a condition that affects her digestive system, making it difficult for her to properly process and absorb nutrients from the nuggets. It is also possible that she has been consuming an excessive amount of chicken nuggets, leading to an imbalance in her diet and potential nutrient deficiencies.

2. Are chicken nuggets generally considered to be a healthy food?

Chicken nuggets are not typically considered to be a healthy food. They are often highly processed and contain a lot of added fat, salt, and preservatives. They also do not provide a significant amount of important nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It is important to consume a balanced and varied diet that includes a variety of whole foods for optimal health.

3. How can someone prevent a similar situation from happening?

To prevent a similar situation from happening, it is important to have a balanced and varied diet that includes a variety of whole foods. It is also important to pay attention to any potential food allergies or intolerances and to consult a healthcare professional if any symptoms or reactions occur after consuming certain foods. It is also recommended to limit processed and highly-processed foods, including chicken nuggets, and to focus on whole, nutrient-dense foods for optimal health.

4. Is it common for someone to have a severe reaction to a food they have been eating since childhood?

It is not common for someone to have a severe reaction to a food they have been eating since childhood, but it is possible. Food allergies and intolerances can develop at any point in life, and sometimes it takes repeated exposure to a food for a reaction to occur. It is important to pay attention to any symptoms or reactions and to consult a healthcare professional for proper diagnosis and management.

5. What steps should be taken if someone experiences a severe reaction to a food?

If someone experiences a severe reaction to a food, it is important to seek immediate medical attention. If the reaction is severe and life-threatening, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. If the reaction is less severe, but still concerning, consult a healthcare professional for proper diagnosis and management. It is also important to avoid consuming the food that caused the reaction in the future and to carry any necessary medication, such as an epinephrine auto-injector, if prescribed by a doctor.