Proving Limits Do Not Exist Using Two Path Test

In summary, the Two Path Test was used to prove that the limit of the function \frac{4xy}{3x^2+y^2} does not exist at the point (0,0). The two paths chosen were x=y and x=-y, which resulted in limits of 1 and -1, respectively. It was also mentioned that there is no specific method for choosing paths, but it is recommended to try out different paths until a pattern is identified.
mharten1

Homework Statement

Use the two path test to prove that the following limits do not exist.

Homework Equations

[tex]\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow{(0,0)}}\frac{4xy}{3x^2+y^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The book that I am using introduces the Two Path Test theoretically but does not show an example of how to do it, so I am a bit lost.

Would I set x = y, and x = -y? In some of the more basic problems I was able to set x = 0 and y = 0, and find the limits would differ, proving that there was no limit. But in this case, that's obviously not possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those two paths look like a good choice to me. Try them out. What's the limit along each path?

Dick said:
Those two paths look like a good choice to me. Try them out. What's the limit along each path?

I'm getting 1 and -1, thus the limit does not exist. A question that I have that the book does not address: how do I choose the paths? Do you just try what you think will work until you find something, or is there a specific method of choosing?

mharten1 said:
I'm getting 1 and -1, thus the limit does not exist. A question that I have that the book does not address: how do I choose the paths? Do you just try what you think will work until you find something, or is there a specific method of choosing?

There's no formula for picking the paths. Just try some until you get a feeling for what's going on. Other easy ones to try are x=0 and y=0.

1. What is the Two Path Test for proving limits do not exist?

The Two Path Test is a method used in calculus to show that a limit does not exist. It involves finding two different paths approaching the same point and showing that the limit values along these paths are not equal, thus proving that the limit does not exist.

2. How do I apply the Two Path Test to prove a limit does not exist?

To apply the Two Path Test, first choose two distinct paths approaching the given point. Then, evaluate the limit along each path and compare the results. If the two limits are not equal, then the limit does not exist. However, if the two limits are equal, the test is inconclusive and other methods may need to be used.

3. What are the advantages of using the Two Path Test?

The Two Path Test is a relatively simple and straightforward method for proving limits do not exist. It also allows for flexibility in choosing the paths, as long as they approach the same point. Additionally, it can be used for both one-sided and two-sided limits.

4. Are there any limitations to the Two Path Test?

One limitation of the Two Path Test is that it may not always give a conclusive result. In some cases, the two limits along different paths may be equal, even though the overall limit does not exist. In such cases, other methods such as the Squeeze Theorem may need to be used.

5. Can the Two Path Test be used for all types of functions?

Yes, the Two Path Test can be used for all types of functions, including rational, exponential, and trigonometric functions. It is also applicable to both continuous and discontinuous functions. However, it is important to note that the function must be defined at the given point in order for the test to be applied.