Learning Material for General Theory of Relativity

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for recommendations on books to learn the General Theory of Relativity. Several suggestions were given, including "Introduction to the theory of relativity" by Peter Gabriel Bergmann, "Foundations of Tensor Analysis for Students of Physics and Engineering" by Joseph C. Kolecki, "Exploring Black Holes" by Edwin F. Taylor and John Archibald Wheeler, and "Gravity" by James B. Hartle. The person asking for recommendations also expressed a preference for an Indian Edition.
Cyrin
I am beginner to General Theory of Relativity. Please do suggest any good books, so that I can learn on my own. Anyone, please...
If the book is an Indian Edition its very fine..
Thanks in advance to all..

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest good old Peter Gabriel Bergmann, "Introduction to the theory of relativity". It is not Indian Edition, it is Dover Edition, which has its own advantages: it is cheap, and you can even get a used one on amazon for 1 cent.

If you want to get into the maths of General Relativity, and are not familiar with tensors, you'll find that some books leap straight in, and make few allowances for the newcomer.

If this is the case, I heartily recommend that you download this free resource on one of NASA's websites:

Foundations of Tensor Analysis for Students of Physics and Engineering With an Introduction to the Theory of Relativity

Joseph C. Kolecki

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=2...mode+matchallany&Ntk=All&N=0&No=0&Ntt=kolecki

If you want a book that is good at explaining physically what it is all about, but uses more basic maths than tensors, there is an excellent one by Edwin F. Taylor and John Archibald Wheeler:

Exploring Black Holes
Introduction to General Relativity

thank you all so much..

1. What is the General Theory of Relativity?

The General Theory of Relativity is a fundamental theory in physics developed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how gravity works as a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. Why is the General Theory of Relativity important?

The General Theory of Relativity is important because it revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. It has also led to the development of modern technologies such as GPS and has implications for our understanding of black holes and the Big Bang.

3. How can I learn about the General Theory of Relativity?

There are many resources available to learn about the General Theory of Relativity, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures. Some universities also offer courses specifically on this topic. It is important to have a strong background in mathematics and physics before delving into this theory.

4. What are some key concepts in the General Theory of Relativity?

Some key concepts in the General Theory of Relativity include the equivalence principle, which states that gravity is equivalent to acceleration, and the concept of space-time, which combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. Other important ideas include the curvature of space-time and the effects of gravity on the trajectory of light.

5. Can the General Theory of Relativity be tested?

Yes, the General Theory of Relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. One famous example is the bending of starlight by the sun's gravity, which was predicted by the theory and later observed during a solar eclipse. Other tests include the precession of Mercury's orbit and the gravitational time dilation effect.