Calculating the Bose-Einstein Condensation Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the Bose-Einstein condensation temperature of Rb 87 atoms with a density of 10^11 atoms per cm^3 using the equation T=n^(2/3)h^2/3mK_B. There is a discrepancy in the units used, with the suggestion to use joules instead of eV. However, it is concluded that the units do not matter due to the cancelling out of the conversion factor. The final estimated answer is 16nK.
Mr LoganC

Homework Statement

Estimate the Bose-Einstein condensation temperature of Rb 87 atoms with density of 10^11 atoms per cm^3.

Homework Equations

[itex]T=\frac{n^{2/3}h^{2}}{3mK_{B}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This should be just a standard plug and chug question, but my answers are not even close to reasonable! I would expect to get anywhere from 500nK to 50nK for an answer, but I am getting thousands of Kelvin! Are my units wrong? I am using Boltzman constant with units of [itex]eV\bullet K^{-1}[/itex] and Plank's with units of [itex]eV\bullet s[/itex].
Then I am using the density in Atoms per m^3 and the mass of a single Rb 87 atom in Kg.
Am I missing something here with units? That is the only thing I can think is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
At first glance I would use joules (Nxm) instead of eV since since other units are SI...

bloby said:
At first glance I would use joules (Nxm) instead of eV since since other units are SI...

But since the plank constant is on the top and Boltzman on the bottom, the converting factor of eV to joules (1.6x10^-19) would cancel out anyway, so whether it's in eV or Joules should not matter.

Mr LoganC said:
But since the plank constant is on the top and Boltzman on the bottom, the converting factor of eV to joules (1.6x10^-19) would cancel out anyway, so whether it's in eV or Joules should not matter.

Actually, that IS the problem! I think you are correct, Bloby. Because the Plank constant is squared on the top, so there is still another 1.6x10^-19 to factor in there! I will give it a shot and see what I get for an answer!

It Worked! Thank you Bloby! Final answer was 16nK, which seems pretty reasonable to me for a Bose-Einstein Condensate.

Last edited:

Your calculations seem to be correct, however, the units you are using for the Boltzmann constant and Planck's constant are incorrect. They should be in units of Joules per Kelvin and Joules times seconds, respectively. This may be why your answers are coming out in Kelvin instead of nanokelvin. Also, make sure to convert the density from atoms per cm^3 to atoms per m^3. This should give you a more reasonable answer in the range of 50nK to 500nK.

What is a Bose-Einstein condensate?

A Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC) is a state of matter formed at extremely low temperatures when a large number of bosons (particles with integer spin) occupy the same quantum state and behave as a single entity. This phenomenon was first predicted by Satyendra Nath Bose and Albert Einstein in the 1920s.

What is the Bose-Einstein condensation temperature?

The Bose-Einstein condensation temperature is the temperature at which a gas of bosons can no longer be described by classical statistical mechanics and instead forms a BEC. This temperature is dependent on the number of particles, the mass of the particles, and the trapping potential of the system.

How is the Bose-Einstein condensation temperature calculated?

The Bose-Einstein condensation temperature can be calculated using the formula T = 0.94n^(2/3)ħ^2/mk, where n is the number of particles, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particles, and k is the Boltzmann constant. This formula is known as the Thomas-Fermi approximation and provides a rough estimate for the condensation temperature.

What is the significance of the Bose-Einstein condensation temperature?

The Bose-Einstein condensation temperature is an important parameter in the study of quantum gases and has various applications in fields such as superfluidity, superconductivity, and atom lasers. It also provides insight into the behavior of matter at extremely low temperatures and has helped scientists understand the nature of quantum mechanics.

What factors can affect the Bose-Einstein condensation temperature?

The Bose-Einstein condensation temperature is influenced by various factors such as the number of particles, the mass of the particles, the trapping potential of the system, and the interactions between the particles. The type of particles also plays a role, as different bosonic particles have different condensation temperatures due to their varying properties.