Joint Distributions

by Eulogy
Tags: distributions, joint
Eulogy is offline
Jun9-12, 08:55 PM
P: 8
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Let U,Y be independent random variables. Here U is uniformly distributed on (0,1) Where as
Y~0.25[itex]\delta_{0}[/itex] + 0.75[itex]\delta_{1}[/itex]. Let X = UY. Find the Cdf and compute

3. The attempt at a solution
Normally a question like this is fairly straightforward but I'm having trouble understanding how Y is distributed.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
vela is offline
Jun9-12, 11:10 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 11,530
I take that to mean Y is a discrete random variable that assumes the value 0 25% of the time and the value 1 the remaining 75% of the time.

Register to reply

Related Discussions
Statistics - difference between joint distribution and joint density? Calculus & Beyond Homework 1
Help with joint distributions? Calculus & Beyond Homework 1
Deriving Joint Distribution Function from Joint Density (check my working pls!) Calculus & Beyond Homework 8
Probability : joint density function of 3 Normal Distributions Precalculus Mathematics Homework 3
Joint and conditional distributions Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics 3