Detection of dead body in insulation

In summary, the conversation discussed ways to detect a dead rat in insulation, both with and without special equipment. Ideas included using thermal imaging, tracking gases with an electronic nose, using animals with a strong sense of smell, and using imaging techniques such as X-rays, neutrons, and NMR. It was also suggested to put parts of the insulation in a scanner to look for deviations in the images, as rats have a different chemical composition and amount of hydrogen in their bodies. Background information on NMR was also mentioned as a helpful resource.
Thundagere
Strange title? Basically, a few days ago we got a dead rat in our ceiling, which is covered in insulation. Took a while to find it, but it got me thinking, how would you detect a dead rat body?
If it recently died, I first thought you could use thermal imaging (aside from the expensive aspect), but then I realized that the insulation would reflect the heat of the body and make it difficult to pinpoint. Trying to track gases with some sort of electronic nose is pretty expensive and difficult. ANy ideas on this? It's not really something important, but I was just wondering.

Physics news on Phys.org
from the smell

Without special equipment?
Find some animal which can detect the smell (dogs, humans, ...).
Find holes in the insulation and follow them.

With special equipment?
X-rays, neutrons, NMR, basically every imaging technique which allows to give some sort of contrast.

Could you give me some background info on how NMR would work?

If parts of the insulation are not too big and movable, put them in a scanner and try to find deviations in the images. I would expect that rats have a different amount of hydrogen in their body, and a different chemical composition. If some rat-shaped structure appears, you found the rat.
For the physics of NMR, see wikipedia, books or whatever.

1. How can a dead body be detected in insulation?

There are a few methods that can be used to detect a dead body in insulation. One common way is through the use of thermal imaging technology, which can detect heat signatures from the body. Another method is through the use of trained cadaver dogs, which can pick up on the scent of decomposition.

2. How long does it take for a body to be detected in insulation?

This can vary depending on several factors such as the thickness and type of insulation, the temperature and humidity levels, and the size and condition of the body. In some cases, it may take weeks or even months for a body to be detected in insulation.

3. What are some signs that a dead body may be present in insulation?

Some signs that a dead body may be present in insulation include a strong odor of decomposition, an increase in insect or rodent activity, and discoloration or staining on the insulation. In some cases, there may also be visible signs of decay, such as maggots or flies.

4. Can a dead body be detected in all types of insulation?

Yes, a dead body can potentially be detected in any type of insulation. However, some types of insulation, such as spray foam or blown-in cellulose, may make it more difficult to detect a body due to their density and ability to trap odors.

5. What should I do if I suspect there is a dead body in insulation?

If you suspect that there is a dead body in insulation, it is important to contact the authorities immediately. Attempting to remove the body yourself can be dangerous and may compromise any potential evidence. It is best to leave the investigation and removal to trained professionals.