Regarding continuous stochastic variables and probability

In summary, the teacher's argument that the probability of picking a number from an infinite set is zero because "1/\infty = 0" is a very hand-wavey argument.
Mandelbroth
One of my math teachers discussed stochastic ("random") variables today. In an example, he discussed the probability of picking a random number n, such that [itex]n\inℝ[/itex], in the interval [0,10]. He proceeded to say that the probability of picking the integer 4 ([itex]n = 4[/itex]) is 0, supporting his claim with the statement that [itex]\frac{1}{\infty} = 0[/itex].

Now, I'm well aware that I am being extremely picky with this, especially since this is a high school class. However, if one wanted to be pedantic, one might say the following:

1. [itex]P(4\in\textbf{Z}) = \frac{1}{|N|}[/itex], where Z denotes the set of integers and |N| denotes the cardinality of the set N, where N is defined as the set of all real numbers in the interval [0,10].
  2. The value of [itex]P(4\in\textbf{Z})[/itex] is infinitesimal, but not exactly zero.
  3. Though the cardinality of the set N (defined in #1) is infinite, it is not truly correct to use the lemniscate (∞) to denote the quantity.

Are these all correct statements? If so, which one(s) are incorrect?

Thank you in advance for your verifications/corrections. :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
Mandelbroth said:
Now, I'm well aware that I am being extremely picky with this, especially since this is a high school class. However, if one wanted to be pedantic, one might say the following:

1. [itex]P(4\in\textbf{Z}) = \frac{1}{|N|}[/itex], where Z denotes the set of integers and |N| denotes the cardinality of the set N, where N is defined as the set of all real numbers in the interval [0,10].
  2. The value of [itex]P(4\in\textbf{Z})[/itex] is infinitesimal, but not exactly zero.
  3. Though the cardinality of the set N (defined in #1) is infinite, it is not truly correct to use the lemniscate (∞) to denote the quantity.

If one wanted to be pedantic, I would say that ##P(4\in\textbf{Z})## reads "the probability that the number 4 is in the set of integers", which is 1. =)

That said, saying that the probability that a continuous random variable x takes an exact value is zero because "##1/\infty = 0##" is most certainly a very hand-wavey argument and is not a rigorous way of showing it. Dealing with an infinite outcome space definitely requires some careful terminology and statements ("almost surely", "almost never", etc.).

Mandelbroth said:
[*]The value of [itex]P(4\in\textbf{Z})[/itex] is infinitesimal, but not exactly zero.

You'd have to find an axiom system that defines division of a real number by an infinite cardinal number in order to say that. In the ordinary axioms for the real number system, there is no such definition. (You might find some support for such a statement in the axioms for "nonstandard analysis", where "infinitesimals" are defined, but I'm not an expert on that.)

[*]Though the cardinality of the set N (defined in #1) is infinite, it is not truly correct to use the lemniscate (∞) to denote the quantity.

Correct. [itex] \infty [/itex] isn't the conventional notation for the cardinality of the real numbers (That cardinality is the same as the cardinality of the real numbers in [0,10]).

However, the fundamental problem with rigor of the teacher's argument is that probability (when it is treated rigorously) isn't defined as a ratio. It isn't defined as "the number of favorable cases/ the number of possible cases". It is defined as a "measure on a sigma algebra of sets".

In practical terms, the fact that any single value of a continuous random variable has probability zero doesn't contradict experience. There are no practical ways to pick an exact value from a continuum of values. If you try to do it by a physical measurement such as the voltage across a noisy resistor, you can only measure the voltage to a finite precision. So there is a "plus or minus" to the measurement and you only know the voltage is in some interval. I don't think you can write a computer program to generate pseudo-random numbers from a continuum of numbers.

If we imagine tossing an infinite number of coins, we could use each coin to select one digit of a binary number such as .01001110... . and thus pick a random number between 0 and 1. But this is only a theoretical method. (And it would assign zero probability to each individual infinite sequence of coin tosses.)

If I may drop my 2 cents, perhaps a way of grasping it is the following:

Continuous random variables are described using the "density function" of its distribution, and the probability of an event is given by a definite integral of this density function.

For example, the probability of a continuous random variable falling in the interval [a,b] would be expressed as[tex]\int_a^b p(x) dx[/tex]where [itex]p(x)[/itex] was the density function of your random distribution.

Then it's easier to see that this integral goes to zero when the two integration limits are equal (when a=b).

The probability of picking any number out of the interval [0 10] is zero because the measure of a point is zero. It takes up zero percent of the length of the interval.

But on the integers there is no length or measure that assigns equal weight to each integer. If you do define a measure on the integers - and the weights will not be equal - then the probability of choosing 4 might be non-zero.

You could say I guess that the probability of choosing 4 is the limit if 1/n as n goes to infinity where n is the number of integers in a set containing 4 and the probability distribution is uniform.

You can say I guess that the probability of picking a number out of the reals is zero since it is zero for any finite interval.

What are continuous stochastic variables?

Continuous stochastic variables are random variables that can take on any value within a certain range, as opposed to discrete variables which can only take on specific, separate values. In other words, continuous stochastic variables can take on an infinite number of possible values within a given interval.

What is the difference between a continuous and a discrete stochastic variable?

The main difference between continuous and discrete stochastic variables is that continuous variables can take on any value within a range, while discrete variables can only take on specific, separate values. This means that continuous variables have an infinite number of possible values, while discrete variables have a finite number of possible values.

How is probability calculated for continuous stochastic variables?

For continuous stochastic variables, probability is represented by the area under the probability density function (PDF) curve. This means that the probability of a continuous variable taking on a specific value is equal to the area under the curve at that point. The total area under the curve is equal to 1, representing the total probability of all possible values.

What is the relationship between probability and continuous stochastic variables?

Probability and continuous stochastic variables are closely related, as probability is used to describe the likelihood of a continuous variable taking on a certain value. The concept of probability is used to describe the distribution of possible values for a continuous variable, and is represented by the probability density function (PDF).

How are continuous stochastic variables used in scientific research?

Continuous stochastic variables are used in scientific research to describe and analyze real-world phenomena, such as natural processes, human behavior, and physical systems. By using continuous variables, researchers can better understand and predict the behavior and outcomes of these systems, and make informed decisions based on the probabilities associated with different values.