If the Universe is indeed finite(in volume)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the universe being infinite in size and time, and the implications this would have on the Big Bang theory. The data from the WMAP probe suggests that the universe could be flat, but this does not necessarily mean it is finite or infinite. There is no concrete evidence at this time to support either possibility. The conversation also mentions different theories and concepts, such as Newton's Law of Gravity and Einstein's Theory of General Relativity, and how they relate to the concept of a finite or infinite universe. There is also a discussion of the observable universe versus the entire universe, and how the Big Bang model pertains to the expanding homogeneous spacetime rather than the moment of cosmogenesis. In summary, the conversation
Zelyucha
What pray tell, is the definitive proof? I ask this question upon reading a recent article regarding data from the WMAP probe suggesting that the Cosmos is flat. Now it did not specify whether this implies that the Cosmos is locally Euclidean or has a Euclidean spatial metric and zero mean curvature. If the latter is such, then this would most likely imply the shape of the Universe is best described by a non-compact manifold which implies that it is indeed infinite in size.

If there is enough evidence to demonstrate that the Universe has finite size, I'd like to see some of it if you wouldn't mind. :wink:

Space news on Phys.org
There is no concrete evidence that the Universe is finite at this time. I remember reading about a result saying the Universe was finite, but it was only about a 1.6 or 1.3 sigma result, meaning it isn't definitive at all. It could still go either way.

Zelyucha said:
What pray tell, is the definitive proof?

Science doesn't much go in for "definitive proof" these days. Back in the day, everyone concluded that Newton's Law of Gravity was definitively proven and thus could be called a "Law", but it is now know to be quite incorrect even though it gives good results at local scales.

These days' Einsteins Theory of General Relatively has been shown to be correct to umpteen decimal places (more than Newton's was) BUT it is known to be "wrong" at least in the sense of being incomplete (no good at the quantum level), and thus is NOT called a "law".

Zelyucha said:
If the latter is such, then this would most likely imply the shape of the Universe is best described by a non-compact manifold which implies that it is indeed infinite in size.
As others have mentioned, the data from WMAP pertain to the observable universe, and constrain this geometry only. However, it's also probably worth pointing out that there are compact manifolds with flat metrics -- the torus, for example.

Drakkith said:
There is no concrete evidence that the Universe is finite at this time. I remember reading about a result saying the Universe was finite, but it was only about a 1.6 or 1.3 sigma result, meaning it isn't definitive at all. It could still go either way.

IF the Universe is indeed shown to be infinite to say, 4σ at the very least, then I daresay that in itself will strike a fatal blow to the Big Bang Theory. For a Universe of finite size to reach infinite size in any finite amount of time would be topologically impossible. Not-to-mention a gross violation of the 1st law of thermodynamics to which AFAIK there is ZERO experimental or observational evidence which is in violation to it.

Zelyucha said:
IF the Universe is indeed shown to be infinite to say, 4σ at the very least, then I daresay that in itself will strike a fatal blow to the Big Bang Theory. For a Universe of finite size to reach infinite size in any finite amount of time would be topologically impossible. Not-to-mention a gross violation of the 1st law of thermodynamics to which AFAIK there is ZERO experimental or observational evidence which is in violation to it.

And what evidence do you have that the universe was not infinite to begin with? Please provide references. The big bang theory does not require it and I have never heard anyone (other than morons on TV) say that it was definitively finite to begin with.

phinds said:
And what evidence do you have that the universe was not infinite to begin with? Please provide references.

I have none. As a matter of fact I certainly do not disregard the possibility that the Universe was infinite to begin with.

The big bang theory does not require it and I have never heard anyone (other than morons on TV) say that it was definitively finite to begin with.

Um, WUT? Are you suggesting that the Big Bang may have resulted in a Universe of Infinite size(and total combined mass) in a finite period of time? :bugeye:

By what known physical mechanism would this be possible? I wager that if the Cosmos is infinite space it is also infinite in time and has no end...and no beginning.

Zelyucha said:
Um, WUT? Are you suggesting that the Big Bang may have resulted in a Universe of Infinite size(and total combined mass) in a finite period of time? :bugeye:

Of course. The possibility exists.

By what known physical mechanism would this be possible? I wager that if the Cosmos is infinite space it is also infinite in time and has no end...and no beginning.

That would not be the way current Cosmology sees it. The Universe can be finite in age and infinite in extent.

Zelyucha said:

Well, again, there is this distinction between the observable universe and the universe. When cosmologists refer to the Big Bang model, they are not generally speaking of the moment of cosmogenesis of the universe, but rather the model of an expanding homogeneous spacetime. After all, all our data refers to our observable universe -- there could well be more out there, and as others have pointed out, an infinite amount of universe. The finite time since the "Big Bang" would then refer to the finite time since the universe began its expansion (or, more correctly, since processes tied to observational evidence occurred, like nucleosynthesis and the creation of the CMB.)

Last edited:

1. What evidence supports the idea that the Universe is finite in volume?

Some evidence that suggests the Universe is finite in volume includes the observed expansion and age of the Universe, as well as the observed amount of matter and energy within it. Additionally, the laws of thermodynamics and the finite speed of light also support the concept of a finite Universe.

2. How can we measure the size of a finite Universe?

Measuring the size of a finite Universe is a complex task, but scientists use various methods such as studying the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation, measuring the curvature of space-time, and studying the distribution of galaxies to estimate its size.

3. If the Universe is finite, what lies beyond its boundaries?

It is currently unknown what, if anything, lies beyond the boundaries of a finite Universe. Some theories suggest that there could be other universes or dimensions beyond our own, but there is no concrete evidence to support this idea.

4. How does the concept of a finite Universe impact our understanding of the Big Bang theory?

The concept of a finite Universe is actually consistent with the Big Bang theory. In fact, the Big Bang theory suggests that the Universe started as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. The idea of a finite Universe also supports the notion of a beginning and an end to the Universe.

5. Can the finite nature of the Universe change over time?

The finite nature of the Universe is a fundamental aspect of its existence and is not expected to change over time. However, our understanding of the Universe is constantly evolving, and new discoveries may lead to a better understanding of its size and boundaries in the future.