The specific heat capacity of solids

In summary, the specific heat capacity of most solids is around 25JK-1mol-1 due to the theory of equipartition, which states that the energy of a system is evenly distributed among all of its degrees of freedom. This limit is known as the Dulong-Petit Law and can be seen in the specific heat values for common solids such as glass and copper, which have a 100% difference in specific heat.
Saxby
Why is the specific heat capacity of most solids around 25JK-1mol-1?

I remember being told ages ago that is was something to do with the theory of equipartition but I'm not really sure how that theory affects it or why it's around 25JK-1mol-1

Science news on Phys.org
Saxby said:
Why is the specific heat capacity of most solids around 25JK-1mol-1?

I remember being told ages ago that is was something to do with the theory of equipartition but I'm not really sure how that theory affects it or why it's around 25JK-1mol-1

Are you sure?

Here is a list of specific heats of some of the most common solids:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-solids-d_154.html

Compare some of the common stuff - glass window and copper. One is about twice the other. That's a 100% difference! And scanning through the list, I don't see this trend of them being "most" around the number you cited.

Zz.

The classical limit of a crystals heat capacity is 3R per mole. It's called the Dulong-Petit Law if you'd like to read about it.

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one unit mass of a substance by one degree Celsius.

Why is specific heat capacity important?

Specific heat capacity is important because it helps us understand how different materials respond to changes in temperature and how much energy is needed to heat or cool them.

How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is measured by conducting experiments where the amount of heat energy is known and the change in temperature of the substance is measured. The ratio of the two values gives the specific heat capacity.

What factors affect the specific heat capacity of a solid?

The specific heat capacity of a solid can be affected by factors such as the type of material, its density, and its molecular structure. Temperature and pressure can also have an impact on specific heat capacity.

How does specific heat capacity differ between solids, liquids, and gases?

Solids generally have a higher specific heat capacity compared to liquids and gases, meaning they require more energy to change temperature. This is because the molecules in solids are more tightly packed and have stronger bonds, making it more difficult to change their temperature.