AC circuits - Complex vs Ordinary notation

In summary: But suppose we want to solve for I(t). We can again say that the imaginary component of I(t) is our solution. And again, just by convention, we choose the real number line as our particular direction. So if we have I(t) the imaginary current at some time t. Then RE(I(t)) is our solution for the imaginary current at that time.Now, suppose we want to solve for P(t). We can again say that the real component of P(t) is our solution. And again, just by convention, we choose the real number line as our particular direction. So if we have P(t) the real power at some time t. Then RE(
Nikitin
When doing calculations on AC circuits, what is in your opinion the best notation? Here they mostly use complex notation. For example: V(t) = Vmaxeiωt. In US textbooks (at the non-EE level), they only use ordinary notation. Example: V(t) = Vmaxcos(ωt).

I have a feeling that complex notation is faster, but also less intuitive. So which should I learn properly (and no, I don't want to be an expert in both)? The quicker complex notation, or the much more intuitively pleasing ordinary notation?

BTW: I don't study electrical engineering, but engineering physics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The exponential form is far more convenient and becomes intuitive with its use. This becomes clear particularly when you want to study arbitrary signals, not only pure harmonic ones. Then the exponential Fourier integral or series is also far more convenient than the trigonometric ones.

Nikitin said:
So which should I learn properly (and no, I don't want to be an expert in both)?

Both, if you want to be an engineer as well as a physicist.

And you need to be clear about the difference between "phase and quadrature" components of a signal described by ##P \cos \omega t + Q \sin \omega t##, and ##A e^{i\omega t}## where ##A## is complex. (If you haven't come across this little elephant trap, let ##A = P + iQ##, multiply out the real part of ##A e^{i\omega t}##, and note the minus sign!)

The exponential notation is very nice mathematically, but you can't measure the imaginary part of a signal in the time domain!

Does the inaginary part represent some kind of useful information?

Consider a circuit with only a source and a single capacitor (or inductor) the current will be 90 degrees out of phase with the voltage. Now compute the instantaneous power P(t)=V(t)*I(t). You should see that P(t) is positive for half of a 360 degree cycle and negative for the other half. The integrated value of P (or summed value if you take multiple samples) over a whole cycle is zero.

So what's happening? We have voltage and we have current flow, but the net power over any integral number of whole cycles is zero. That is what we call imaginary power. Ignore the philosophical implications of the word imaginary.

So, when V and I are in-phase with each other, the power is all real. When they are 90 degrees out of phase, it is all imaginary. For all other cases of phase shift, the complex notation with real and imaginary components describes exactly how things behave.

The poorly understood part of this (because it is seldom stated) is that this nomenclature applies only to purely sinusoidal wave forms and only when the analysis considers only whole cycles, and only after an AC steady state is reached after a number of whole cycles. In reality, AC analysis is nothing more than an enormously convenient approximation.

In power systems, those three conditions are approximately met almost all the time, so complex arithmetic makes complicated problems simpler.

AlephZero said:
The exponential notation is very nice mathematically, but you can't measure the imaginary part of a signal in the time domain!
Nikitin said:
Does the inaginary part represent some kind of useful information?
The whole idea of the use of complex numbers (as far as I know) is that we originally have a real differential equation. And if we want to, we can solve it using just real numbers. But it is much easier to use complex numbers, since they have both a 'direction' and magnitude. So we are abstracting our differential equation to the complex numbers, so that we can solve it, and relate that result to the real-numbers case.

To do this, we just say that the component of the complex number in one particular direction is the result for the actual voltage (or current, or whatever). And just by convention, people often choose the real number line as this 'particular direction'. So if we have V(t) the complex voltage at some time t. Then RE(V(t)) is our solution for the actual voltage at that time.

1. What is the difference between complex and ordinary notation in AC circuits?

Complex notation is a mathematical representation of AC circuits that uses complex numbers to represent voltage and current in both magnitude and phase. On the other hand, ordinary notation uses sine waves to represent voltage and current in terms of amplitude and frequency.

2. Which notation is more commonly used in analyzing AC circuits?

Complex notation is more commonly used in analyzing AC circuits because it allows for easier mathematical calculations and analysis compared to ordinary notation. It also provides a more accurate representation of the circuit's behavior.

3. Can complex and ordinary notation be converted into each other?

Yes, complex and ordinary notation can be converted into each other using mathematical formulas. However, it is important to note that both notations have their advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of notation depends on the specific application and the preferences of the scientist.

4. How does complex notation account for phase shifts in AC circuits?

Complex notation accounts for phase shifts by using the imaginary component of complex numbers. The phase shift can be represented by the angle of the imaginary component, often denoted as "j" in equations. This allows for a more accurate representation of the circuit's behavior, as the phase shift can greatly affect the overall performance of the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using complex notation in AC circuits?

One limitation of complex notation is that it can be more complex and difficult to understand compared to ordinary notation for those who are not familiar with complex numbers. It also requires additional mathematical calculations, which may not be necessary for simpler circuits. Additionally, complex notation may not be suitable for visualizing the physical properties of the circuit, such as the shape of the sine wave.