Graph of Tension force vs. the square of the speed

In summary: Yeah, I was wondering why your graph was all over the place.The equations you're looking for is: and so forth.Now, I assume r is constant in your setup, so the mass is what changes the ratio of F to V2Because of that, the slope of any given line segment should show the relative mass between the two data points, if that makes any sense.
rstat1
Working on a physics lab report regarding uniform circular motion, one of the questions asks to graph the Tension Force vs. the square of the speed. Another part of the same question asks what the slope of the graph represents, which is where I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your graph, or a table of values would definitely qualify as known data, so you should post those. If you did any theory work before this, you probably also have at least one equation you think is related (IE: one with an acceleration or force term, and a V^2 term). We want to help you work through the problem rather than just giving the answer.

FireStorm000 said:
Your graph, or a table of values would definitely qualify as known data, so you should post those. If you did any theory work before this, you probably also have at least one equation you think is related (IE: one with an acceleration or force term, and a V^2 term). We want to help you work through the problem rather than just giving the answer.

My problem was determining what the slope represented. My graph and associated data is in the attached excel file.

As far as equations, I don't even remotely know which would be useful: I've got one for calculating the speed (v = 2pi/T) and one for one for Tension force (M*g)

Attachments

• Book1.xlsx
    14 KB · Views: 238
My problem was determining what the slope represented. If you still want my graph/data then in its in the attached excel file.

Alright, I took a look at your data and I think I see why you're having trouble. Can you identify the independent and dependent variables in your experiment? It looks like you varied something besides velocity.

I only included the data used to make the graph because I thought that was all that was relevant as far as my question was concerned. The experiment focused on timing how long various masses (starting from 50g and going to 135g) would take to make 20 revolutions. So yes I did vary something besides the velocity, the mass was also varied.

You should find that the slope has something to do with mass

FireStorm000 said:
You should find that the slope has something to do with mass

Well yea I knew that, since the graph is tension force vs speed. I had thought you asked what else I varied.

rstat1 said:
Well yea I knew that, since the graph is tension force vs speed. I had thought you asked what else I varied.

Yeah, I was wondering why your graph was all over the place.

The equations you're looking for is:
Actp = r * v 2
and so
Fctp = m * r * v2

Now, I assume r is constant in your setup, so the mass is what changes the ratio of F to V2
Because of that, the slope of any given line segment should show the relative mass between the two data points, if that makes any sense.

1. What is the purpose of plotting a graph of tension force vs. the square of the speed?

The purpose of this graph is to visualize the relationship between tension force and the square of the speed. This can help to understand how changes in speed affect the tension force in a system.

2. How is the tension force related to the square of the speed?

The tension force is directly proportional to the square of the speed. This means that as the speed increases, the tension force also increases at a faster rate.

3. What does the slope of the graph represent?

The slope of the graph represents the coefficient of proportionality between tension force and the square of the speed. It can also be interpreted as the rate of change of tension force with respect to speed.

4. How does the shape of the graph change if the tension force is kept constant?

If the tension force is kept constant, the graph will be a straight line with a slope of 0. This indicates that there is no relationship between tension force and the square of the speed.

5. Can this graph be used to predict the tension force at a specific speed?

Yes, this graph can be used to predict the tension force at a specific speed by finding the corresponding point on the graph and reading the value from the y-axis.