Can a Propane Campfire Be Used to Generate Electricity?

• Thread starter Ignorantape
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, a boy scout 50 years ago used a pail with a copper loop to generate hot water. A contraption similar to this could be made to generate electricity, but would need some form of a condenser and a control system. For car camping, something like this may be possible, but for backpacking one would wonder why someone would want to take this type of contraption along. It is doubtful that someone would want to make their turbine or generator in their garage. To generate electricity, a drill motor would be needed, and for the small size you would want, this would cost around $300. Maintenance would be a big issue, as blowing up your machine would be a common occurrence.
Ignorantape
hello,
I've been trying to figure out the best way for me to get power off grid. I've looked at solar panels and don't want to spend 300 dollars and more, and i don't want to haul a gas generator and have to pay 4 dollars per hour of use.
as a result I've been here and there all over youtube and the net looking at cool turbines and biomass generators and all that good stuff. then, the idea came to mind, why don't i take a propane tank that i have, hook a copper tube to a turbine and hook that turbine to an electric generator, fill the propane tank with water and put it on a campfire.
seems easy and cheap enough. only problem is that i was never the math and science kind of person. so, i found this forum when i was looking up faradays law and how to calculate generator output.
what I am trying to figure out is if a contraption such as this would even be able to power more than a lightbulb. would i need to get a bigger magnet and coil to increase the generators output? or would i need to increase the coils rpm to accomplish that?

i was thinking to use a 5 gallon propane tank and maybe just make a waterwheel type device in an enclosure. that would spin the coil. no clue how big the coil and magnet should be. i need to charge up a 6v 150 amp hour golf cart battery with this thing.

so yea, any help would be cool. thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
50 years ago, as a boy scout, we had 5 gal pails with a copper loop brazed to the side. Fill it with water, stick the loop into the fire and relatively quickly we would have 5 gal of hot water.

Seems something like that could be contrived to drive a turbine and produce electricity. Of course you would need some form of a condenser and for safety some form of control system.

Frankly for car camping you could do something like this but if you are backpacking,,, one would wonder why you are even going if you have to take a contraption like this along.

I doubt that you would want to make your turbine or generator in your garage. You would need a machine shop to achieve the speeds you would need to accomplish much. You may want to start with a drill motor, not sure where the turbine could be found.

Last edited:
id be towing it behind my camper,
still, id like to make it as small as i can. i know that huge versions of these can power whole farms, etc.

I don't expect anyone will offer to help you, as what you plan sounds very dangerous.

The most important question is how much power do you need to generate in the first place. You can't design anything without a clear set of requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turbines tend to be expensive items, due to all that metal which needs precise machining and whatnot.
And generators can be tricky to make, what with winding all that wire and stuff.
And making a boiler out of any old spare LPG tank. Whew! One mistake and it blows up. Not to mention all that tubing/piping to hook it all up, valves, pressure regulators and so forth. And what about feed water? These boilers don't like to run dry when they're fired up. That blowing up thing again. I hope you weren't planning on enjoying or doing anything when you went off-grid. Tending to your home-made steam plant will take up most of your time. Will some of your family or friends be available to run your plant on the second and third shifts? And don't get me started on maintenance!

In addition to the likelihood of killing yourself, there is no way you could build such a thing for less than $300 so you are probably better off with a small generator or solar panels.

Look into a thermoelectric generators they would be easier to build, lighter and would run quiet.

I must say that PF folk are an ambitious lot. Wanting to scratch build electric power generators, particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, supersonic transports, and the like, all with spare parts or a few trips to the local hardware store.

Ignorantape said:
id be towing it behind my camper,
still, id like to make it as small as i can. i know that huge versions of these can power whole farms, etc.

Your camper is powered by a highly efficient internal combustion engine and is fitted with an (80A?) alternator. I can't think of a better (fossil fuel based) way of providing yourself with a charged 12V battery for your camping needs. It may offend you to be using highly taxed road fuel for the purpose but the superior efficiency still gives it the edge by miles. A portable petrol generator would also be a good solution - for not many tens of GBP and would provide very high convenience.
It could be a different matter if you were planning on a large-scale wood burning system and if you could get the wood for very low cost or free. Small scale steam engines are unbelievably low efficiency, though.

Of course, such a project could provide you with loads of entertainment, so it could be worth while as a way of improving the holiday experience!

cool, so it sounds like its not a very feasible idea.
i liked that thermoelectricity stuff, might look into that.

You could build a Stirling engine, they are simple, compact, and run on any heat source (wood fire, oil, gas, solar, etc). You could then use it power an old car alternator to get electricity out.

QuantumPion said:
You could build a Stirling engine, they are simple, compact, and run on any heat source (wood fire, oil, gas, solar, etc). You could then use it power an old car alternator to get electricity out.

And how much actual power do you get out of the sort of Stirling Engine that you can build and transport? Imo, this needs to be treated as an engineering project - it needs to perform an actual job and not just go round and round and light up a pea bulb - so the actual numbers count. It's why most people pay money for a working system when they want a proper electrical energy supply.

Weight for weight and unit cost of energy, for camping, boating etc, photovoltaic and wind generators take some beating.

1. How does a campfire powered generator work?

A campfire powered generator works by converting the heat energy from the campfire into electrical energy. The generator uses a thermoelectric material, such as bismuth telluride, to create an electrical current when there is a temperature difference between the hot side (exposed to the fire) and the cold side (exposed to the air).

2. What are the benefits of using a campfire powered generator?

One of the main benefits of using a campfire powered generator is its portability. It can be used in remote locations where there is no access to traditional power sources. It is also environmentally friendly, as it uses a renewable energy source (fire) to generate electricity.

3. Are there any limitations to a campfire powered generator?

Yes, there are some limitations to a campfire powered generator. It can only generate a small amount of electricity, so it is not suitable for powering large appliances or devices. It also requires a constant supply of heat, so it may not be reliable in wet or windy conditions.

4. How much power can a campfire powered generator produce?

The power output of a campfire powered generator depends on the size of the fire and the efficiency of the thermoelectric material. On average, it can produce around 10-15 watts of power, enough to charge small electronic devices like phones and tablets.

5. Can a campfire powered generator be used for cooking as well?

Yes, some campfire powered generators are designed to be multipurpose and can be used for both generating electricity and cooking food. However, it is important to check the manufacturer's instructions and make sure the heat from the fire does not damage the generator.