Is there a temperature in the universe beyond Earth's atmosphere?

In summary, space has an average temperature of about 3 degrees Kelvin, which is the temperature of the cosmic microwave background radiation. This would be the temperature felt in deep space, far from any large concentrations of matter like galaxies. However, directly outside Earth's atmosphere, the temperature would depend on the location in relation to the sun. There is no maximum limit of temperature, but the maximum in theory is the Planck temperature of 1.42×10^32 kelvin. Absolute zero, at 0 Kelvin, is not achievable.
Knightycloud
Is there a temperature out there at the universe, outside Earth's atmosphere? and if there is any, how can we feel it?
The sun rays travel through the space and the green house gases absorbs and reflect it over and over again so there is a temperature down on earth. With having no gases or matter out there at the space, is there no temp?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The average temperature in space is that of the CMB --- about 3 degrees Kelvin. This is what would be radiated to your body if you were in deep space, way away from any large concentrations of matter such as galaxies.

Directly outside Earth's atmosphere is a whole different story and would depend on where you are in relation to the sun.

EDIT: actually, even inside a galaxy, if you could be far away from the nearest sun so the temp would likely still be about 3 degrees K.

Likes 1 person
:cool: And is that a one reason for the space to have no gases? It's out of the question. Just popped into my mind! :D Because all the gases will have zero volume when it's 0 K, right?

Knightycloud said:
:cool: And is that a one reason for the space to have no gases? It's out of the question. Just popped into my mind! :D Because all the gases will have zero volume when it's 0 K, right?

I don't understand this question --- not sure what you mean by "zero volumn". Intergalactic space DOES have "gas" it's just incredibly thin in most places outside of galaxies (and inside as well, but sometimes less so).

Likes 1 person
Knightycloud said:

No, at absolute zero the gas would be in a minimum energy state but still take up volume. It's important to understand that a system at a minimum energy state still has energy and momentum. You just can't remove any of it from the system.

Plus, as Phinds said, space still has gas in it. There is a smooth, continuous drop in density as you move away from large bodies such as planets and stars and into interplanetary, interstellar, and intergalactic space.

Likes 1 person
Drakkith said:
No, at absolute zero the gas would be in a minimum energy state but still take up volume. It's important to understand that a system at a minimum energy state still has energy and momentum. You just can't remove any of it from the system.

Yea and when we extend the V-T curve (Volume to Temperature) it meets the X axis (Temperature) at some point (-273.17 oC). It's just a theory right? In the actual case there's still a volume. :D

Thank you for the wisdom people. My question is solved! :smile:

Knightycloud said:
Yea and when we extend the V-T curve (Volume to Temperature) it meets the X axis (Temperature) at some point (-273.17 oC). It's just a theory right? In the actual case there's still a volume. :D

Thank you for the wisdom people. My question is solved! :smile:

There is, but it's a little complicated and involves some quantum mechanical rules when you get near absolute zero. Whether the gas is a boson or fermion matters. It still has a volume, but it is very very very small and you almost can't consider it a gas any longer. Especially if its a boson and becomes a bose-einstein condensate, as I believe that is technically a different state of matter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose-Einstein_condensate

I have a question. We know the coldest place in space is 0 K. In this temperature atoms don't move. Is there a maximum limit of temperature? If we assume that all the atoms move in light speed what would the temperature be? I'm not a physicist. So maybe my question is nonsensical but if you explain I'll be grateful.

Likes 1 person
sunay said:
I have a question. We know the coldest place in space is 0 K.

Not true. Absolute zero is not reachable.

Is there a maximum limit of temperature?

There is not.

If we assume that all the atoms move in light speed what would the temperature be?

This is not possible. Atoms have mass and cannot move at light speed. Attempting to do the math would give you infinity as an answer. This doesn't actually mean their temperature would be infinity, it means that the math broke down because we used it incorrectly.

The maximum possible temperature in theory is 1.42×10^32 kelvin, otherwise known as the Planck temperature - which is very hot. You could grill a galactic mass turkey to golden perfection in a Planck time at that temperature - which would be quite a feast.

Thanks for your answers. :)

What is the temperature of the universe?

The temperature of the universe is constantly changing depending on the location and time. However, on average, it is estimated to be around 2.7 Kelvin (-270.45 degrees Celsius or -454.81 degrees Fahrenheit).

How is the temperature of the universe measured?

The temperature of the universe is measured using various methods including the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB), which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. Scientists also use spectroscopy to study the temperature of different celestial bodies and the expansion of the universe.

Has the temperature of the universe always been the same?

No, the temperature of the universe has not always been the same. The universe started off very hot after the Big Bang and has been cooling down ever since. However, the rate of cooling has slowed down as the universe continues to expand.

What is the relationship between the temperature and the age of the universe?

The temperature of the universe and its age are closely related. As the universe expands, its temperature decreases. The current temperature of the universe is a result of its age of approximately 13.8 billion years.

Can the temperature of the universe change in the future?

Yes, the temperature of the universe can change in the future. As the universe continues to expand, its temperature will decrease. However, there are also theories about the possibility of a "Big Freeze" where the universe will eventually reach a state of maximum entropy and have a uniform, extremely low temperature.