Kramers-Kronig relations on a finite data set

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Kramers-Kronig relation to find the dispersion from a finite data set of frequency and absorption. It is suggested to calculate the integrals numerically instead of using a spline, as it could lead to errors. Additionally, there are some general rules for how the dielectric constant should behave asymptotically which can provide more information. However, there may be concerns about precision in this process.
Niles
Hi

Say I have a finite data set (frequency, absorption) and I would like to find the corresponding dispersion. For this I could use the Kramers-Kronig (KK) relation on the absorption data. What I would do is to make a qubic spline and then perform the KK-transformation.

However, the absorption data naturally doesn't run from ±∞, but what I would do is simply to use the extremes of my frequency-data instead - this will naturally introduce some numerical error. What do professional people do in this case, do they quantify the error? Or is there not a way to extract the dispersion from the absorption data?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, if you have a data set, you probaby want to calculate the Kramers-Kroning integrals numerically. I wouldn't recommend first building a spline because they are terribly inaccurate outside of the range where you have data points, and using that could lead to very uncontrolled errors.

I have no idea what professional packages do, but have some general information on how the dielectric constant should behave asymptotically. Namely ε-1 should fall off like 1/ω at very high frequencies and should go to a constant in the limit ω→0. There are also lots of sum rules which provide further information on the relevant constants as far as you cannot infer them from your data.

Zarqon said:
Hmm, if you have a data set, you probaby want to calculate the Kramers-Kroning integrals numerically. I wouldn't recommend first building a spline because they are terribly inaccurate outside of the range where you have data points, and using that could lead to very uncontrolled errors.

I only integrate (numerically!) from the first and last frequency data point, so I never go outside the range.

DrDu said:
I have no idea what professional packages do, but have some general information on how the dielectric constant should behave asymptotically. Namely ε-1 should fall off like 1/ω at very high frequencies and should go to a constant in the limit ω→0. There are also lots of sum rules which provide further information on the relevant constants as far as you cannot infer them from your data.

Thanks. They behave as anticipated, but I'm worried about the precision.

I meant that you could integrate over the corresponding asymptotic expressions in the range where you don't have data.

1. What are Kramers-Kronig relations on a finite data set?

Kramers-Kronig relations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the real and imaginary parts of a complex function. They are often used in physics and engineering to analyze the properties of systems with both real and imaginary components.

2. How are Kramers-Kronig relations used in data analysis?

Kramers-Kronig relations are used to analyze a finite data set, which is a set of discrete data points that represent a continuous function. By applying these equations, scientists can extrapolate information about the function beyond the given data points.

3. What is the importance of Kramers-Kronig relations on a finite data set?

Kramers-Kronig relations provide valuable information about the behavior and properties of a system based on a limited amount of data. They also help to validate experimental data and can reveal hidden features of a system that may not be apparent from the initial data set.

4. Are there any limitations to using Kramers-Kronig relations on a finite data set?

While Kramers-Kronig relations are a powerful tool for data analysis, they do have limitations. They can only be applied to systems with certain properties, such as causality and analyticity, and may not be accurate for highly non-linear systems.

5. How do Kramers-Kronig relations on a finite data set relate to other mathematical concepts?

Kramers-Kronig relations are closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as Fourier transforms and Laplace transforms. They are also used in conjunction with other methods, such as numerical integration, to analyze data and solve complex problems in various fields of science and engineering.