Doubling reaction recipe while maintaining concentration

In summary, the concentrations of the reactants are the only thing that really matter when doubling the volume of reactants and solvent. Other variables, like stirring speed, may affect the yield.
Hyo X
Say we are running a chemical reaction of some kind, in liquid, in a round bottom flask.

We have a solvent, two reactants, a product, and the reaction is under stirring, reflux (volume maintained) and constant temperature.

In my mind, if we simply double the volume of all the reactants and the solvent, and maintain the same reaction conditions, really it is only the concentrations of the reactants that matter. So ideally the product should be the same.

Is this true? What other variables would make a double-batch reaction different than a standard batch? Why or how?

Do nucleation sites, or interaction of the solvent with the vessel walls or air surface matter? I can be more specific about our reaction if necessary. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Scaling is not always that easy. Especially when the reaction is exo- or endothermic heat transfer can become a problem.

As Borek mentioned, scaling isn't easy. It's why chemical engineers are needed when pharmaceuticals need to be made on the hundreds of kg scale. Even things like stirring speed can drastically affect your % yield on a different scale. Stirring can become tricky when you are working with kilos worth of material. I'll never forget the time our process chemist was scaling up a reaction I did on the multiple kg scale and dropped her glove inside the reaction vessel. The reaction worked beautifully. After that though she could never get it to repeat again.

I used to also manufacture the silica gel packings that go into hplc columns and size of scale was critically important. It took the companies years to optimize the reaction conditions between different size batches of silica in order to make reproducible lots of hplc columns. A reaction with 50g starting material had a different stirring speed and reaction time as a 500 g reaction.

1. How do I double a reaction recipe while maintaining the same concentration?

To double a reaction recipe while maintaining the same concentration, you will need to double the amount of all reactants and products in the recipe. This will ensure that the concentration of each substance remains the same.

2. Can I use any concentration of reactants when doubling a reaction recipe?

No, you cannot use any concentration of reactants when doubling a reaction recipe. The concentration of each reactant must remain the same as the original recipe in order to maintain the same reaction outcome.

3. What is the importance of maintaining concentration in a doubled reaction recipe?

Maintaining concentration is important in a doubled reaction recipe because it ensures that the reaction will proceed at the same rate and produce the same outcome as the original recipe. Changes in concentration can alter the reaction kinetics and result in a different product.

4. How can I calculate the new amount of each reactant when doubling a reaction recipe?

To calculate the new amount of each reactant when doubling a reaction recipe, you can use the formula: new amount = original amount x 2. For example, if the original recipe calls for 5 grams of reactant A, the new recipe will require 10 grams of reactant A.

5. Can I double a reaction recipe and then dilute it to maintain the same concentration?

No, you cannot double a reaction recipe and then dilute it to maintain the same concentration. Doubling the recipe will result in a higher concentration, and diluting it will change the concentration. It is important to double the amount of all reactants and products to maintain the same concentration.