Discover How to Solve the x = y sin(x) Equation with Expert Tips

• Thread starter sid9221
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding a general formula for x in an equation involving y and sin(x). The suggestion is to use approximation methods such as Newton's method. It is also mentioned that the function taking x to y is not one-to-one and is very non-injective. This could cause confusion for those not familiar with these concepts.
sid9221
Hi,

I can't come up with a general forumla for x in this equation. Any advice ?

x = y sin(x)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is no analytic solution for x. Your best bet is to use Newton's method or any other approximation method that will give you as much accuracy as you desire.

Beyond an analytic solution, there isn't a unique solution. The function [itex]\mathbb R\setminus \pi\mathbb Z \to \mathbb R[/itex] taking [itex]x\to y=\dfrac{x}{\sin x}[/itex] isn't one-to-one. In fact, there are infinitely many places at which very-close-but-different values of [itex]x[/itex] are taken to the exact same [itex]y[/itex] value.

Last edited:
economicsnerd said:
Beyond an analytic solution, there isn't a unique solution. The function [itex]\mathbb R\setminus \pi\mathbb Z \to \mathbb R[/itex] taking [itex]x\to y=\dfrac{x}{\sin x}[/itex] is very non-injective. There are infinitely many points at which it isn't even locally injective.

The intersection between those who would ask the OPs question and those who know who know what injective or locally injective must be null or a small number. A reasonable number that include me belong to neither class. :smile:

epenguin said:
The intersection between those who would ask the OPs question and those who know who know what injective or locally injective must be null or a small number. A reasonable number that include me belong to neither class. :smile:

You're right! I'll edit it (though my quoted mistake is immortalized in your post). :)

1. How do I know which method to use to solve an equation?

The method you use to solve an equation depends on the type of equation you are dealing with. If the equation contains only one variable, you can usually solve it using algebraic methods such as factoring or using the quadratic formula. If the equation contains multiple variables, you may need to use substitution or elimination methods.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve equations?

Yes, calculators can be helpful in solving equations, especially when dealing with large numbers or complicated equations. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving the equation by hand before relying on a calculator.

3. What should I do if I get a negative solution when solving an equation?

If you get a negative solution when solving an equation, it is important to check your work and make sure you have not made a mistake. If the negative solution makes sense in the context of the problem, it is likely correct. However, if it does not make sense, you may need to go back and review your steps or try a different method.

4. How do I check my answer after solving an equation?

To check your answer after solving an equation, you can substitute the solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Alternatively, you can graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the solution.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations include forgetting to distribute, making arithmetic errors, and not following the order of operations. It is important to double check your work and be aware of these common mistakes in order to accurately solve equations.