Using SPICE with FEMM (Finite Element Method Magnetics)

In summary, SPICE (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis) can be used in conjunction with FEMM (Finite Element Method Magnetics) to simulate and analyze electromagnetic fields in complex systems. This combination allows for accurate modeling and analysis of various electrical components and systems, making it a powerful tool for engineers and researchers. SPICE provides circuit simulation capabilities, while FEMM focuses on the magnetic fields and interactions within a system. Together, they offer a comprehensive approach to understanding and optimizing electromagnetic systems. With its user-friendly interface and powerful capabilities, the use of SPICE with FEMM has become increasingly popular in the field of electromagnetics.
Jdo300
Hello All,

Some of you may have heard of the freeware FEA program called FEMM written by David Meeker. It is used to simulate 2D electromagnetic geometries and also has an integrated LUA scripting host which allows script files to be written to automate the process.

I'm currently using FEMM to model and calculate the output voltage, current, and power of a custom generator model but I'm wondering if it is possible to use SPICE to simulate the circuit components of my model.

Basically, I'm starting with a very simple setup with a spinning magnet and a coil. The goal is that I want to simulate the load voltage and current from this coil, taking into account it's reactance and presumably non-sinusoidal output waveform. Right now, I can calculate the inductance of the coil, the output current, and induced voltage straight from the simulator outputs, but I would like to somehow input these values into the SPICE simulator to determine the load voltage, current, and phase shift. I'm modeling the output circuit of the generator as a voltage source with a series resistance, and inductance to represent the generator, and a resistive load for the output load.

The tricky part is that the source inductance also changes with the loading of the generator (which is why I'm considering using spice somehow). Has anyone ever worked with a situation like this before?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, we use LTspice + FEMM (LookUp Table). Modeling Back EMF From Solenoid Valve.Ustroystvo as a black box. Examples http://www.magneticdon.narod.ru/Batishchev.pdf and http://www.magneticdon.narod.ru/Article_Batishchev_Pavlenko.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
kasandranas said:
Yes, we use LTspice + FEMM (LookUp Table). Modeling Back EMF From Solenoid Valve.Ustroystvo as a black box. Examples http://www.magneticdon.narod.ru/Batishchev.pdf and http://www.magneticdon.narod.ru/Article_Batishchev_Pavlenko.pdf

Welcome to the PF.

Are there any English language translations available of this work? It's probably of fairly limited usefulness in its current language/format.

Last edited by a moderator:
Planned to write an article in English in the near future.

Thanks kasandranas,

When you do, please let me know, I would be very interested to see how you approached the problem.

- Jason O

1. What is SPICE and FEMM?

SPICE (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis) is a computer program used for simulating electronic circuits. FEMM (Finite Element Method Magnetics) is a finite element analysis software that is used for simulating and analyzing magnetic and electromagnetic fields.

2. How can SPICE be used with FEMM?

SPICE can be used with FEMM by exporting the circuit model from SPICE and importing it into FEMM. This allows for simulation and analysis of both electrical and magnetic components in the same circuit.

3. What are the benefits of using SPICE with FEMM?

Using SPICE with FEMM allows for a more comprehensive analysis of circuits that include both electrical and magnetic components. It also allows for a more accurate simulation of real-world circuits, as well as the ability to optimize designs for better performance.

4. Are there any limitations to using SPICE with FEMM?

One limitation of using SPICE with FEMM is that it may require a significant amount of computational resources, especially for complex circuits. Additionally, the accuracy of the simulation may depend on the models and parameters used.

5. Are there any alternatives to using SPICE with FEMM?

Yes, there are other software programs that can simulate both electrical and magnetic components, such as ANSYS Maxwell and COMSOL Multiphysics. However, SPICE and FEMM are popular options due to their user-friendly interfaces and open-source availability.