Women in Science: Significant Contributions Past & Future

In summary: Watson wrote a book that portrayed her as a secretive, bad dressing, anti-social, *****. IMHO, the real villain in the Rosalynd Franklin story was not Watson but her boss Maurice Wilkins (who DID share in the DNA Nobel). He swiped her helix diffraction picture and took it to Watson and Crick. It wasn't key for them - they had already just about finalized their model - but it was exciting and important confirmation. They used it without even asking her. Watson's caricature was just an expression of his bad conscience.
Mentat
I'm trying to see how many women have made significant additions to scientific knowledge in the past. I can only think of two, off the top of my head: Madame Wu and Marie Curie.

Please name all of the women that you believe have been important in science in their own right (IOW, they weren't mainly known as so-and-so's wife).

You may also name women who will very likely be significant in future scientific discovery.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rosalind Franklin, SHE should have gotten the credit of unraveling the structure of DNA. Watson and Crick basically stole here data and came out with the conclusion.

She COULD have gotten the Nobel prize, if she hadn't died prematurely :(

Marquise du Chatelet: Connected Leibniz and Newton, x=cy2

Lise Meitner: Fission. The real genious behind it.

Sadly women has been much repressed. We'll obviously see more of them later, if we manage not making WW3 de la a-bomb.

Last edited:
Hypatia: mathematician
Sophie Germain: mathematician
Emmy Noether: Noether theorem
Jocelyn Bell: discoverer of pulsars
A.J. Cannon: classification of stars

Actually, Fotini Markopoulou and Renate Loll in LQG and Lisa Randall in string theory are very promising

Jane Goodall (or is she more of an activist?)

Originally posted by Monique
Rosalind Franklin, SHE should have gotten the credit of unraveling the structure of DNA. Watson and Crick basically stole here data and came out with the conclusion.

She COULD have gotten the Nobel prize, if she hadn't died prematurely :(

I never knew this.

Thanks for all the responses so far. Are there any more?

Also, I hope that one day we can add names like Monique and whatever Gale17's actual name is, to this kind of list. I'm still a strong believer that the PFs are going to change world.

[edit]changed punctuation[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Mentat
I'm still a strong believer that the PFs are going to change world.
Only if you make sure you do all your homework
before you go online. :wink:

Originally posted by drag
Only if you make sure you do all your homework
before you go online. :wink:

Always...but I don't think I'll be one of those that makes a big difference in the world, I was referring to other people.

Marie Cunitz

And to top it all off Watson wrote a book that portrayed her as a secretive, bad dressing, anti-social, *****.

IMHO, the real villain in the Rosalynd Franklin story was not Watson but her boss Maurice Wilkins (who DID share in the DNA Nobel). He swiped her helix diffraction picture and took it to Watson and Crick.
It wasn't key for them - they had already just about finalized their model - but it was exciting and important confirmation. They used it without even asking her. Watson's caricature was just an expression of his bad conscience. he knew the three men had stiffed her.

1. What are some examples of significant contributions by women in science in the past?

Some notable examples of significant contributions by women in science in the past include Marie Curie's pioneering work in radioactivity, Rosalind Franklin's crucial contribution to the discovery of the structure of DNA, and Ada Lovelace's groundbreaking work in computer programming.

2. How have women's contributions in science impacted society?

Women's contributions in science have had a significant impact on society in various ways. Their discoveries and innovations have led to advancements in technology, medicine, and other fields, improving the quality of life for many people. Additionally, women in science serve as role models and inspire future generations to pursue careers in STEM fields.

3. What challenges have women faced in the field of science?

Women have faced numerous challenges in the field of science, including gender bias, discrimination, and lack of representation and opportunities. In the past, women were often discouraged from pursuing higher education and careers in science, and even those who did face barriers such as unequal pay and limited career advancement.

4. How have perceptions of women in science changed over time?

Perceptions of women in science have gradually shifted over time. In the past, women were often seen as incapable of understanding complex scientific concepts or were relegated to more "feminine" roles in the field, such as lab technicians. However, as more women have made significant contributions and broken barriers in science, society's perception of women's abilities in the field has evolved.

5. What can be done to encourage more women to pursue careers in science?

To encourage more women to pursue careers in science, it is essential to address the barriers and challenges they may face. This includes promoting equal opportunities and pay, providing mentorship and support for women in STEM fields, and challenging gender stereotypes and biases. Additionally, highlighting the contributions of women in science and providing more representation and visibility can inspire and encourage young girls and women to pursue careers in science.