How can we expand a function near a singularity x=0?

In summary, the function f approaches a singularity when \epsilon\rightarrow{0}, and an expansion near the singularity is possible by taking the jacobian of the function.
eljose
let,s suppose we have a function f so the limit when [tex]\epsilon\rightarrow{0}[/tex] is infinite..now i would like to know how could i make an expansion of the function f near the singularity x=0 so we have..
[tex]f(x)=\frac{a0(x)}{(x-\epsilon)}+\frac{a1(x)}{(x-\epsilon)^{2}...[/tex]
i say a series that is valid near the point x=0+e

Physics news on Phys.org
eljose said:
let,s suppose we have a function f so the limit when [tex]\epsilon\rightarrow{0}[/tex] is infinite..now i would like to know how could i make an expansion of the function f near the singularity x=0 so we have..
[tex]f(x)=\frac{a0(x)}{(x-\epsilon)}+\frac{a1(x)}{(x-\epsilon)^{2}...[/tex]
i say a series that is valid near the point x=0+e
Perhaps you meant:

[tex]f(x)=\frac{a0(x)}{(x-\epsilon)}+\frac{a1(x)}{(x-\epsilon)^{2}}\ldots[/tex]

consider a function of two of more variables.

Here can take the jacobian, and if the absolute value of the jacobian at point in the domain is greater than 1, expansion is accuring at that point in the domain, if the absolute value of the jacobian is less than 1, then contraction is occurring at that point in the domain. If the absolute value of the jacobian is equal to one, then there is neither contraction, nor expansion occurring at the point in the domain. Mind you, in this case, I believe that contraction/expansion is defined as occurring on the domain of the given function, and we are assuming that the function is continuous and differentiable over it's entire domain.

Does this help? Do you know how to take the jacobian of the a function of n variables? If not I can explain pretty quickly in my next post. It's pretty easy thing to do for functions of 2 or 3 variables.

Best Regards,

Edwin

1. What is an expansion near a singularity?

An expansion near a singularity is a mathematical technique used to approximate the behavior of a function or system near a point where it becomes undefined or infinite, known as a singularity.

2. Why is expansion near singularities important in scientific research?

Expansion near singularities allows scientists to study and understand the behavior of systems or functions in extreme conditions, such as at the edge of a black hole or during the Big Bang. It also helps in identifying and predicting potential problems or instabilities in physical systems.

3. How is expansion near singularities different from other mathematical techniques?

Expansion near singularities is specifically designed to handle the behavior of functions or systems near singular points, while other techniques may not be able to accurately describe these extreme conditions. It also allows for the inclusion of higher-order terms in the expansion, providing more precise approximations.

4. What are the limitations of expansion near singularities?

Expansion near singularities is only applicable for functions or systems that exhibit a well-defined singularity, and may not be accurate for all types of singularities. It also relies on the assumption that the function or system is well-behaved and can be described by a power series expansion.

5. Can expansion near singularities be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, expansion near singularities is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as astrophysics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It has been successfully applied to solve problems related to black holes, shock waves, and phase transitions, among others.