Materials manufactured by cells

In summary: Bacteria and other micro-organisms can produce huge quantities of particular molecules, but it is not easy to do so. It requires the use of chemical catalysts - substances that speed up the chemical reaction without being consumed by it. These enzymes are usually produced by bacteria in high concentrations and are known as "catalysts". There are a few specific compounds that are only produced this way - for example, DNA polymerase, which is used to make DNA.This is all speculation on my part, but I suspect that it is because it is very difficult to produce specific complex molecules on a large scale. Certain molecules can only be created through the use ofcatalysts. I'm not sure how large the scale is, but
scott_alexsk
Can anyone list some substances other than penicillian and insulin that are produced by organizms. It seems like most complex molocuels are produced by everything but chemical engineers. Am I correct in thinking that this is because it is very difficult to produce specific complex molocuels on a large scale. It seems like to me that certain compounds can only be created through the use of catylists. Am I correct in thinking this? Also does anyone have any idea on the scale that bacteria and other organizms are used to mass produce substances.
Thanks,
-Scott

Biology news on Phys.org
I can name a few of human practical importance.
Antiobodies to a virus or bacterium are made by in large quantities in chicken eggs.
Also enzymes from organisms are used to catalyze reactions that are of practical signficance to us. Such as yeast being added to aid in beer and bread production.
We use DNA polymerase, an enzyme that can polymerize the material for organim's genome, for many applications, such as DNA 'fingerprinting', many useful scientific assays.

In the enzyme universe nature is billions of years ahead of humans (the enyzmes we make, not have in our bodies.) Although I have heard of some rationally designed enzymes that can catalyze reactions.

scott_alexsk said:
Can anyone list some substances other than penicillian and insulin that are produced by organizms. It seems like most complex molocuels are produced by everything but chemical engineers. Am I correct in thinking that this is because it is very difficult to produce specific complex molocuels on a large scale. It seems like to me that certain compounds can only be created through the use of catylists. Am I correct in thinking this? Also does anyone have any idea on the scale that bacteria and other organizms are used to mass produce substances.
Thanks,
-Scott

OK, there needs to be a bit of clarification of your question before it can lend itself to a precise answer.

You are probably wondering about useful (to humans) chemicals that are produced by micro-organisms, whether in their natural state or post genetic manipulation. Better ?

In their natural state, micro-organisms produce a few useful products. Penicillin, a useful antibiotic, is the product of a fungus. Other antibiotics are produced by bacteria (e.g. streptomycin, vancomycin, polymyxin B and bacitracin). Yeasts produce alcohol in brewing and gas in breadmaking. Bacteria produce enzymes that curdle milk to give yoghurt.

We also genetically modify certain microorganisms to enable them to synthesise stuff we want. This falls into the discipline known as "recombinant DNA technology". We can insert plasmids (short segments of genetic code) into bacterial cells so that the cells are "commandeered" into producing large quantities of whatever we desire. Human insulin, human growth hormone and various vaccines are produced in this fashion.

1. What are materials manufactured by cells?

Materials manufactured by cells refer to any substances or structures that are produced by living cells through a process known as cellular metabolism. These materials can range from simple molecules like proteins and lipids to complex structures like tissues and organs.

2. How are materials manufactured by cells?

Materials are manufactured by cells through a series of chemical reactions that occur within the cell. These reactions are catalyzed by enzymes and use energy from sources like glucose or sunlight to build or break down molecules and create new substances.

3. What is the importance of materials manufactured by cells?

Materials manufactured by cells play a crucial role in the functioning of living organisms. They are essential for growth, repair, and maintenance of the body, as well as for carrying out various biological processes like digestion, respiration, and reproduction.

4. Can materials manufactured by cells be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, materials manufactured by cells can be manipulated or controlled through various methods such as genetic engineering, chemical modifications, and environmental factors. This allows scientists to produce specific materials for various purposes, such as creating new medicines or materials for industrial use.

5. Can materials manufactured by cells be harmful?

While materials manufactured by cells are crucial for life, they can also be harmful if produced in excess or if they are not functioning properly. For example, an overproduction of certain proteins can lead to diseases like cancer, and malfunctioning of enzymes can cause metabolic disorders. However, cells have mechanisms in place to regulate the production of materials and maintain balance within the body.