Study Chemistry: Tips for Intro Final Exam

In summary: There is a lot of math involved in chemistry, but it's not impossible to do well if you focus on the right things. If you're struggling with a concept, try breaking it down into its component parts and studying them one at a time. Also, try seeking out help from a teacher or online resources.
pi-r8
I HATE chemistry. Everything I have to learn in this subject is along the lines of "well, normally we do things this way, but sometimes it's this way. Oh, and there's also the case of blah blah blah, when it's like this. Memorize all these cases." There doesn't seem to be any logically consistent rules! Do any of you have advice for how I can go about studying for my chemistry final? This is for introductory chemistry.

Physics news on Phys.org
pi-r8 said:
I HATE chemistry. Everything I have to learn in this subject is along the lines of "well, normally we do things this way, but sometimes it's this way. Oh, and there's also the case of blah blah blah, when it's like this. Memorize all these cases." There doesn't seem to be any logically consistent rules! Do any of you have advice for how I can go about studying for my chemistry final? This is for introductory chemistry.

Honestly, it is better to memorise it SOMETIMES. it is simply because most people do not want to understand the complex mathematics behind those simple memorisation.
For example
rate law is one of the important topic in chemisty. how many people are able to solve rate law with partial diffferential equation in first 2 years of college? It is good that you want to reach the root of the problem "how this works", but you might end up spending more time on something that is not related to your class.

leon1127 said:
Honestly, it is better to memorise it SOMETIMES. it is simply because most people do not want to understand the complex mathematics behind those simple memorisation.
For example
rate law is one of the important topic in chemisty. how many people are able to solve rate law with partial diffferential equation in first 2 years of college? It is good that you want to reach the root of the problem "how this works", but you might end up spending more time on something that is not related to your class.

yeah, it's very unfortunate that sometimes you just need to study what you NEED to study to do well on a test, and cannot study what you WANT t ostudy.

I agree with the idea that chemistry is basically an exercise in memorization, for the most part. Sure , some things you can intuitively reason out, but the underlying framework of chemistry is left to the physicists. In fact, many PhDs in chemistry are VERY rusty on even their basic differential equations, let alone PDEs.

1. How can I prepare for the intro to chemistry final exam?

To prepare for the intro to chemistry final exam, it is important to review all of your notes and class materials, create a study schedule, and practice solving different types of problems. It is also helpful to attend review sessions and reach out to your professor or classmates for any clarification on difficult concepts.

2. What topics should I focus on while studying for the intro to chemistry final exam?

Some important topics to focus on for the intro to chemistry final exam include atomic structure, chemical reactions, stoichiometry, and basic laboratory techniques. It is also important to have a solid understanding of key concepts and to be able to apply them to different types of problems.

3. Are there any online resources or study guides that can help me prepare for the intro to chemistry final exam?

Yes, there are many online resources and study guides available to help you prepare for the intro to chemistry final exam. Some helpful resources include practice problems, video tutorials, and interactive quizzes. Your professor may also have recommended resources that are specific to your class.

4. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for the intro to chemistry final exam?

To manage your time effectively while studying for the intro to chemistry final exam, it is important to create a study schedule and stick to it. Break up your studying into smaller chunks and take breaks in between to avoid burnout. Prioritize the topics that you are struggling with and allocate more time to those areas.

5. What are some effective study techniques for the intro to chemistry final exam?

Some effective study techniques for the intro to chemistry final exam include creating flashcards, summarizing key concepts, and practicing with different types of problems. It can also be helpful to study in a quiet and distraction-free environment, and to engage in active studying by asking yourself questions and explaining concepts to others.