Precipitation Probability - HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the probability of precipitation in a given area using a normal distribution, based on the mean and standard deviation. The conversation also touches on the reverse scenario, where the amount of precipitation is given and the number of years out of 100 is needed. The final question asks how to find the amount of precipitation expected in a year when given the mean and standard deviation and the number of years out of a certain number.
darthsmozers
I am cursed with a horrible textbook.
In regards to a normal distribution:

when given a mean and standard deviation, I can compute a probability of precipitation in inches with no problem.

IE: when asked what is the probability that rainfall in a given area will exceed a given # of inches:
I calculate standard score from: (Xi - mean)/standard deviation.
I then use this value and a z score table. I then evaluate the probability value and come up with an answer like "in ___ years out of 100, the annual precipitation in the given region should exceed given amount of inches."

HELP HERE: I am asked "if conditions continue, the region should receive at least ___ inches in 19 out of 20 years". Am i supposed to work the problem backwards?

in short: when only given the # of years out of so many years, and given a mean and standard deviation only, how do i find the amount of precipitation expected?

it sounds like the reverse of the above problem, where you're given the precip. level, the mean, and the SD, and asked to find the # of years out of 100.

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you solve the problem "the region should receive at least ___ inches in a year"?

Now I think you need either the rain amount or a probability so you can solve for the other.

Last edited:
the question reads: "Considering current conditions, and 30 years of sample observations, the region should receive ___ inches of rainfall in 14 out of 25 years. Given values include mean of 39.95 inches and SD of 7.5 inches." no other data is given.

nevermind, got it, thanks anyways.

What is precipitation probability?

Precipitation probability refers to the likelihood of rain, snow, or other forms of precipitation occurring at a specific location during a specified period of time. It is usually expressed as a percentage or a decimal value.

How is precipitation probability calculated?

Precipitation probability is calculated using a combination of meteorological data, such as atmospheric pressure, temperature, wind direction and speed, and humidity. This data is fed into computer models that use algorithms and statistical methods to generate a forecast.

Why does precipitation probability change?

Precipitation probability can change due to a variety of factors, such as changes in atmospheric conditions, movement of weather systems, and fluctuations in temperature and humidity. It is important to regularly check updated forecasts for the most accurate precipitation probability.

How reliable is precipitation probability?

Precipitation probability is generally reliable, but it is important to keep in mind that it is a forecast and not a guarantee of actual weather conditions. The accuracy of precipitation probability can vary based on the location and time frame being forecasted, as well as the complexity of weather patterns.

How can I use precipitation probability to plan my activities?

Precipitation probability can be a useful tool for planning outdoor activities. A higher probability of precipitation may indicate that you should bring an umbrella or reschedule outdoor plans, while a lower probability may mean you can go ahead with your plans. However, it is always a good idea to check the forecast for other weather factors, such as temperature and wind, that may also impact your activities.