Dispersion Relations: Confusing Me & What Information is Gained?

In summary, Dispersion relations are a way of linking energy to wave-vector and can provide valuable information such as effective masses and velocities for different types of waves. They can be derived through simple equations and algebraic manipulation, making them useful for exams and understanding solid state and plasma physics. However, they can be confusing and difficult to grasp when trying to apply them to specific situations such as in crystals or different types of waves.
Quasi Particle
Dispersion relations have the tendency to confuse me.
In general, I know what dispersion is, but trying to apply it to crystals, I just "can't see the forest among all those trees". :uhh:
In phonon dispersion, acoustical and optical phonons have quite a different dispersion behaviour. Why is that? I do know the difference between acoustical and optical phonons, but I don't see the physical meaning.
Electron dispersion "creates" the energy bands. But again, I don't really have a concept of the physical meaning.
Can anyone depict this, please?
And also: what exactly do you need dispersion relations for? What information do you get from them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dispersion relations are nothing more than relating the energy to the wave-vector, [tex] E = f(k) [/tex].

Quasi Particle said:
Electron dispersion "creates" the energy bands. But again, I don't really have a concept of the physical meaning.
Can anyone depict this, please?
As Dr. Transport says, it is the energy as a function of wave vector. This the same relation that links frequency to wavelength. The relation is very simple when the propagation velocity is independent of frequency (as for EM-waves, and for sound in air), but is more interesting in other cases (light in glass, waves on water).
For free electrons it is the relation between De-Broglie wavelength and kinetic energy.
And also: what exactly do you need dispersion relations for? What information do you get from them?
In the case of electrons the derivative gives effective masses.
In the case of phonons, it gives the velocity of sound.

Yes I know it sounds a pretty stupid question, but it just seems to be opaque to my understanding.

Thanks for your answers so far (*notes* effective mass, velocity of sound)

If, say, I had an exam about solid state physics and plasma physics and I were asked to draw and explain dispersion relations of electrons, phonons and different kinds of plasma waves, is there a quick and simple way to deduce them?

Yes. For one dimensional waves, write out the wave equation and replace derivatives wrt x by ik and derivatives wrt to t by [itex]i\omega[/itex]. The rest is just algebra. In higher dimensions, replace the grad operator with [itex]i\vec k[/itex].

What is a dispersion relation?

A dispersion relation is a mathematical relationship that describes how the frequency and wavelength of a wave are related to each other. It is often used to study the behavior of waves, such as light or sound, as they travel through a medium.

Why are dispersion relations confusing?

Dispersion relations can be confusing because they involve complex mathematical equations and can vary depending on the specific properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. Additionally, different types of waves (such as electromagnetic waves or acoustic waves) have different dispersion relations, adding to the complexity.

What information is gained from studying dispersion relations?

By studying dispersion relations, scientists can gain insight into the properties of the medium through which a wave is traveling. This can include information about the material's composition, density, and other physical properties. Dispersion relations are also used in fields such as optics and acoustics to understand and manipulate waves for various applications.

How do scientists use dispersion relations in their research?

Scientists use dispersion relations to analyze experimental data and make predictions about the behavior of waves in different circumstances. They can also use dispersion relations to design experiments and develop new technologies that utilize wave phenomena.

What are some real-world applications of dispersion relations?

Dispersion relations have many practical applications, including in the fields of optics, acoustics, and telecommunications. They are also used in fields such as geology and seismology to study the properties of different materials and structures. Additionally, dispersion relations are important in the development of new technologies such as fiber optic communication and medical imaging devices.