Design Wooden Cart: Stop Before Hitting Wall with Egg

• Thread starter dieselflight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cart Design
In summary, this high school student is trying to design a cart to carry an egg one meter as fast as possible and stop before passing the one meter mark. He has two problems to solve - starting and accelerating the cart and then stopping. He suggests a mechanical motor that uses elastic bands, a breaking system, and an air compressor for forward propulsion. If the egg is padded, the only recourse is to decelerate the cart before it crashes.
dieselflight
I am a junior in high school working on a project in which you have to design a wooden cart with no padding to carry a egg one meter as fast as possible and stop before passing the one meter mark and hitting a wall. My problem is i don;t know how to make the cart go fast and then stop without cracking the end, I need suggestions!

Engineering news on Phys.org
For starters, you might want to examine how compression forces affect an egg from different directions. It can be quite a strong object if approached properly.

Keep it simple

Hi,

your best bet is to try and avoid any electronics unless you need them ( or have to use them for the project).

A simple mechanical solution will be more relaible.

You have two problems to solve
  1. Starting/Accelerating
  2. Stopping

A mechanical motor that uses elastic bands would be easy for you to experiment with. A breaking system that simply locks the wheels up after a set distance (wire on a spool) would be a simple reliable system.

Once you have a working model you can adapt it to give greater acceleration and smoother deceleration.

Hope this helps

Joe

I'ld hard boil the egg and coat it in some epoxy for starters. It's only cheating if you get caught.

I think the string on spool idea of braking is brilliant, being wound up by the turning axle. What about compressed air for the forward propulsion??

When you say 'no padding' is that no padding inside (to protect the egg) or outside to buffer the cart?

One could possibly use rubber bands to brace the egg - or does the egg have to be unrestrained in the cart? In that case, the only recourse it to decelerate the cart before it crashes.

carry a egg one meter as fast as possible and stop before passing the one meter mark and hitting a wall.
So the car has to travel one meter, then brake over one meter, and not hit the wall?

Also, please do not double post. Thank you.

Last edited:
This seems to be a mechanical solution only. You need to distribute the force evenly over the surface of the shell.
I had to do this too. We were allowed to bring in our own egg but had to break it afterward to prove it was a real egg. I made a mold of the egg, cast a plaster duplicate with markings for alignment, then built the egg "cradle" specifically to the egg. It took some time but it was worth it, I got 110 on the grade because when the teacher broke the egg the yolk was broken but the shell was intact.
If they let you use some padding it makes it a little easier, I had to use wood only. One other kid used saw dust:grumpy: got a passing grade because he techicaly followed directions

1. How does the design of the wooden cart prevent the egg from breaking when hitting a wall?

The wooden cart is designed with a padded interior that cushions the egg and absorbs the impact when the cart hits a wall. Additionally, the cart is equipped with shock-absorbing springs that further reduce the force of impact on the egg.

2. What materials are used to make the wooden cart?

The wooden cart is made from durable and lightweight materials such as pine wood, aluminum, and foam padding. These materials are specifically chosen for their strength and ability to protect the egg during transport.

3. Can the wooden cart be easily maneuvered?

Yes, the wooden cart is designed with smooth-rolling wheels and a sturdy handle, making it easy to move and navigate around obstacles. This feature is especially important when trying to avoid collisions with walls or other objects.

4. How much weight can the wooden cart hold?

The wooden cart can hold up to 10 pounds of weight, making it suitable for carrying multiple eggs or other fragile items. However, it is important to distribute the weight evenly to ensure the cart remains stable and the eggs are not at risk of breaking.

5. Is the wooden cart reusable?

Yes, the wooden cart is designed to be reusable and can withstand multiple uses. However, regular maintenance and repairs may be needed to ensure the cart remains in good condition and continues to provide adequate protection for the eggs.