Potassium Oxide: What is its Melting Point and Other Properties?

• Thread starter Facial
  • Start date
In summary: And what about the nitrogen?In summary, at temperatures below 350 degrees Celsius, potassium oxide can decompose into its respective cation and anion gases.
Facial
Just what, exactly, is its melting point?

I came across a ICSC website saying it decomposes at 350 degrees Celsius. Now how is that supposed to make sense, when it is itself a by-product of wood fires?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
by decomposing they mean that it becomes its respective cation and anion gases. Ionic compounds may decompose before they are heated to melt or boil, you should review exactly how substances melt or boil with respect to the intermolecular attractions, kinetic energy, and the spatial aspects.

GCT said:
by decomposing they mean that it becomes its respective cation and anion gases.
I've never come across something like this before (certainly not at temperatures as low as 350C). IMO, what you've described is (at least) highly unlikely, but then, that may just be something I'm unaware of. From my understanding of stuff like this, I would expect it took a lot more energy to "decompose" the ionic solid into a plasma than it would take to melt it. Do you have a reference I can look up ?

Last edited:
well you're the inorganic chemist, so I can't really argue with you in relevance to experimental concerns. I simply remember that some ionic compounds do not melt (or is it boil?), I got the impression that phase changes are a bit different with ionic compounds. By "decomposing" I figured it meant just that (in the original post), that instead of melting, the ionic compound becomes its respective ionic gases, as I've learned during my undergraduate years that this is what commonly happens; pure textbook reference, I'll need to research upon the rigorous experimental details, specifically for potassium oxide and the in dynamic details undergoing, up till, its first stage in "decomposition."

I suspect that at this point that the temperature for the plasma formation would be significantly higher than that required for adequate atomization, again the process is a bit unclear at the moment. Perhaps you can suggest. I'll need to do so when I find the time (the semester has just started for me).

The real question here is: what is meant by "decomposing?" ...and under what conditions?

In the open air, with plenty of additional oxygen and nitrogen, et. al? In a vacuum? In some inert atmosphere, if so, what? And, of course, what are the decomposition products? Potassium (II) oxide? (unlikely at 350C) Potassium Superoxide? (maybe) Potassium (0) and Oxygen gas? (not in the air, probably not at all) If not these, what?

For what it is worth, both silver oxide and aluminum oxide thermally decompose to the elements, but neither of these elemental metals are as reactive as potassium.

A relatively quick Google search showed potassium oxide as common product of the thermal decompositon of other things, but the only thing I could find about heating potassium oxide itself was "produces toxic gases."

Last edited:
Does any potassium nitride form?

The superoxide might make sense, but would it be a gas as described above?

1. What is Potassium Oxide?

Potassium oxide (K2O) is a chemical compound that is formed when potassium reacts with oxygen. It is a white solid that is commonly used as a fertilizer and in the production of glass and ceramics.

2. How is Potassium Oxide produced?

Potassium oxide can be produced through the reaction of potassium hydroxide with a metal oxide, or by heating potassium carbonate with charcoal. It can also be obtained as a byproduct of the electrolysis of potassium chloride in the presence of oxygen.

3. What are the properties of Potassium Oxide?

Potassium oxide is a highly reactive compound that is soluble in water. It has a high melting point of 891 degrees Celsius and is a good conductor of electricity. It also has a strong basic nature, making it useful in many industrial processes.

4. What are the uses of Potassium Oxide?

Aside from its use as a fertilizer and in the production of glass and ceramics, potassium oxide is also used in the manufacturing of soaps and detergents, as well as in the production of potassium salts. It is also used as a flux in metallurgy and as a desiccant in air purification systems.

5. Is Potassium Oxide harmful to human health?

Potassium oxide is generally considered safe for human health. However, it is a strong base and can cause irritation and burns if it comes into contact with the skin or eyes. Inhaling large amounts of potassium oxide dust can also cause respiratory irritation. It is important to handle this compound with caution and use proper protective equipment.