This is probably just a coincidence, but

• Thread starter Trepidation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    coincidence
In summary: But in any case, I don't think we can assume the OP is making a reference to Greene's book or any other source. It's best to stick to the facts and address the specific misconceptions in the original post.
Trepidation
[tex]EK = mv^2[/tex]
energy kinetic = mass times velocity squared

So... Isn't one way to interpret time dilation that everything moves through time and space with a sum velocity of c (somehow), and that as velocity in space increases velocity in time therefore decreases? I've read this in several places, anyway.

If this is the case, then the permanent space-time velocity of all objects is c... Which means that their kinetic energy would be:

[tex]EK = mv^2[/tex]

[tex]EK = mc^2[/tex]

So er... [tex]E=mc^2[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Trepidation said:
[tex]EK = mv^2[/tex]
So... Isn't one way to interpret time dilation that everything moves through time and space with a sum velocity of c (somehow), and that as velocity in space increases velocity in time therefore decreases? I've read this in several places, anyway.
If this is the case, then the permanent space-time velocity of all objects is c... Which means that their kinetic energy would be:
[tex]EK = mv^2[/tex]
[tex]EK = mc^2[/tex]
The equation [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] only applies when [itex]v=0[/itex]. The general equation for any [itex]v[/itex] is
[tex]E=\sqrt{(mc^2)^2+c^2p^2}[/tex]
where [itex]p[/itex] is momentum.
So indeed just a coincidence.

Trepidation said:
[tex]EK = mv^2[/tex]
[tex]EK = mv^2[/tex]
[tex]EK = mc^2[/tex]

1. Since when is kinetic energy equal to mv^2? What happened to the 1/2?

2. What exactly are "velocity in space" and "velocity in time"?

3. What is "space-time velocity"?

4. This statement is puzzling: "... Isn't one way to interpret time dilation that everything moves through time and space with a sum velocity of c (somehow),... " Everything does NOT move with a "sum velocity of c (somehow)".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
1. Since when is kinetic energy equal to mv^2? What happened to the 1/2?
Of course. I completeley overlooked this most obvious argument!

Trepidation said:
[tex]EK = mv^2[/tex]

No, its [tex] E_K = \frac{1}{2} m v^2[/tex]

[tex]EK = mv^2[/tex]
[tex]EK = mc^2[/tex]

[tex]E=mc^2[/tex] only applies to a an object when [tex] v= 0[/tex] as another pointed out. It has nothing to do with kinetic energy.

ZapperZ said:
Everything does NOT move with a "sum velocity of c (somehow)".

The length of the velocity four-vector of any particle is 1 in geometric units, which corresponds to c in SI units. A particle in it's rest frame is moving through time at a second a second. To compare lengths with times, we multiply by c, to find that it is moving c metres a second.

masudr said:
The length of the velocity four-vector of any particle is 1 in geometric units, which corresponds to c in SI units. A particle in it's rest frame is moving through time at a second a second. To compare lengths with times, we multiply by c, to find that it is moving c metres a second.

But really, do you honestly think the OP knew about this and that this is what he/she is describing by making that erroneous statement? I highly doubt it.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
But really, do you honestly think the OP knew about this and that this is what he/she is describing by making that erroneous statement? I highly doubt it.
Zz.

I believe one of Greene's recent popular science texts (with some grandiose title) expresses this idea (and I assume this is where the OP got the idea from); whether or not the OP fully understood it or not is, of course, another matter.

masudr said:
I believe one of Greene's recent popular science texts (with some grandiose title) expresses this idea (and I assume this is where the OP got the idea from); whether or not the OP fully understood it or not is, of course, another matter.

I'm not so sure... Greene cannot make a silly mistake of equating KE with mv^2 and missing out that 1/2, which is the OP starting premise.

Zz.

I comprehend the idea, but the important thing is that I apparently don't comprehend simple Newtonian physics. Forgive me for the incorrect formula and the idiotic post... I just saw something that sort-of corresponded and then decided to post it, and consequently wound up with a bunch of gibberish.

Again, sorry. I don't know what I thought when I was writing EK=mv^2. Thanks for replying to this, anyway.

ZapperZ said:
I'm not so sure... Greene cannot make a silly mistake of equating KE with mv^2 and missing out that 1/2, which is the OP starting premise.
Zz.

Sorry, I meant the notion of having a velocity of c at all times, as opposed to the definition of non-relativistic classical kinetic energy.

What does it mean when someone says "This is probably just a coincidence, but "?

When someone uses this phrase, they are acknowledging that two events or pieces of information may seem related, but they do not believe there is any causal connection between them.

Why is it important to consider coincidences in scientific research?

It is important to consider coincidences because they can often lead to false conclusions and correlations. By acknowledging coincidences, scientists can avoid making incorrect assumptions about cause and effect relationships.

Can coincidences ever be used as evidence or proof of a hypothesis?

No, coincidences alone cannot be used as evidence or proof of a hypothesis. Scientific research requires controlled experiments and reproducible evidence to support a hypothesis.

How can scientists determine if a correlation is truly a coincidence or if there is a causal relationship?

Scientists can determine if there is a causal relationship by conducting controlled experiments and analyzing data to determine if there is a statistically significant correlation. They can also use other scientific methods, such as peer review and replication, to verify their findings.

Are there any scientific theories or principles that address coincidences?

There are some theories in physics and statistics, such as the Law of Large Numbers and the Theory of Randomness, that can help explain coincidences in a scientific context. However, there is no specific principle that directly addresses coincidences.