Solve Zero Matrix Problem: Find Matrix D for 2a+b-d = 3x2 Zero Matrix

In summary, the conversation is about finding a matrix D that would result in a 3x2 zero matrix when 2A+B-D is calculated. The question was initially unclear as it did not specify what A and B were, but it was later clarified that they were matrices given by the professor. The answer to the question was provided by the professor, stating that D should be written in terms of A and B and then calculated using arithmetic. The conversation also addressed the confusion and lack of understanding of the question and how to approach it.
DethRose
Ive got a homework question and i don't really understand what is being asked of me

Find a matrix D such that 2a+b-d is the 3x2 zero matrix.

i know a zero matrix is a matrix with all zeros in it so are they trying to get me to make a matrix with all zeros or what?

please help i have been staring at this question for like an hour

Physics news on Phys.org
What are a and b supposed to be? 2a+b should be the same as d if 2a+b-d = 0.

i don't know that all I've got for a question i don't really know where to start

Then the only answer you can give is "d= 2a+ b"!

the answer in the back of the book is

0 6
5 14
-9 9

DethRose said:
Find a matrix D such that 2a+b-d is the 3x2 zero matrix.

On it's own, this doesn't make any sense. What are a, b, and d? Are a and b 3x2 matrices you were given earlier? Is little "d" the same as big "D"? There has to more to the question, I suggest you type it out exactly as it appears.

DethRose said:
the answer in the back of the book is
0 6
5 14
-9 9
Then a and b must have been given! Read the problem carefully! Perhaps this problem referred to matrices a and b from another problem.

the way i stated it at the beginning is exactly how its put in the textbook

Find a matrix D such that 2a+b-D is the 3x2 zero matrix.

sorry didnt notice i had 2 different d's now it is the exact question

It still makes no sense as written. Again, what are a and b? Were they defined earlier? Is this a multi-part question where a and b were defined in an earlier part? An earlier problem? An example in the text? They have to come from somewhere, or this question and answer is total nonsense.

i just phoned my prof and he said he forgot to put this on the board:

A= 1 3
2 5
-1 2

B= -2 0
1 4
-7 5

Aha!

No problems anymore then?

ive been working on it and I am not really sure how to go about doing it?

You now have A and B. You want to find a matrix D where 2A+B-D is the zero matrix. Write D in terms of A and B (Halls did this for you above) and do the arithmetic.

What is the Zero Matrix Problem?

The Zero Matrix Problem refers to a mathematical problem where the goal is to find a matrix that satisfies a given equation or set of equations with a solution of all zeros. In other words, the matrix will have all its elements equal to zero.

What does the equation 2a+b-d = 3x2 represent?

The equation 2a+b-d = 3x2 is a linear equation with three variables, a, b, and d, and a constant term of 6. This equation can be represented in matrix form as [2 1 -1] [a b d]T = [6].

How do you solve the Zero Matrix Problem?

To solve the Zero Matrix Problem, we need to use the properties of matrices and linear equations. We can rewrite the given equation as a system of equations and then use matrix operations to find the values of the variables that make the matrix all zeros.

What is the role of matrix D in the Zero Matrix Problem?

Matrix D represents the unknown values of the variables a, b, and d in the given equation. It is the solution matrix that we need to find to make the given matrix all zeros.

Can the Zero Matrix Problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, the Zero Matrix Problem can have multiple solutions. This means that there can be more than one set of values for the unknown variables that make the given matrix all zeros. However, the solutions may not always be unique.