Equations and Tangents for Curve C at Point P

That will help you catch any mistakes. Also, for part c, you can use the equation you found in part a) for the normal line and the given equation for the tangent line to show that they are not parallel.
discombobulated
The gradient of the curve C is given by: dy/dx = (3x-1)2
the point P (1,4) lies on C.

a) Find an equation of the normal to C at P.
b) Find an equation for the curve C in the form y=f(x)
c) using dy/dx = (3x-1)2 show that there is no point on C at which the tangent is parallel to the line y=1-2x.

Well for a) i got: 4y= -x+17 (subbed x= 1 in dy/dx, got grad of normal and got eq)

But, i don't understand what part b) wants me to do. I think i could do c) by using the gradients and showing that they're not the same.

Some help on b) please!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the derivative of the function y=f(x). Do you know how to get the original function back from its derivative? Do you know why they said to "find an equation" instead of "find the equation" in b)?

do you mean i have to integrate dy/dx = (3x-1)2 for b)

to get : 3x3 - 3x2+x +c ?

Last edited:
Integration is the correct operation. But your answer is not correct yet. You should be able to check your answer by differentiating it again to get back to the original equation for dy/dx.

oh wait i remembered i need work out c, by using P(1,4)

Thanks for your help!

Your welcome. Be sure to do the step where you check your answer using differentiation.

1. What is the gradient of a curve?

The gradient of a curve is a measure of the rate of change of the curve at a specific point. It is represented by a slope or a tangent line that touches the curve at that point.

2. How is the gradient of a curve calculated?

The gradient of a curve can be calculated by finding the derivative of the curve at a specific point. This can be done using calculus or by using the slope formula: (y2-y1)/(x2-x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the curve.

3. What does a positive gradient indicate?

A positive gradient indicates that the curve is increasing. This means that as the x-values increase, the corresponding y-values also increase. The steeper the positive gradient, the faster the curve is increasing.

4. What does a negative gradient indicate?

A negative gradient indicates that the curve is decreasing. This means that as the x-values increase, the corresponding y-values decrease. The steeper the negative gradient, the faster the curve is decreasing.

5. How can the gradient of a curve be used in real life?

The gradient of a curve is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze and predict changes in a system over time. For example, in physics, the gradient of a position-time curve can be used to calculate velocity, while in economics, the gradient of a demand curve can be used to determine the rate of change in demand for a product.