Can You Cook an Egg with a Cell Phone?

• Thread starter skywolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Egg
In summary: They attempted to spark an explosion with mobile phones too, they failed, but, a man wearing a nyon suit coupled to a long wire could.
skywolf
is it true or not
its supposed to be an urban legend that you can cook an egg with your cellphone. the same way that a microwave cooks an egg but a lot slower because of the power difference, 1500 to 3 (watts).

i was wondering if the cell phone frequency was even high enough to be caught by the egg

and if i had 500 cellphones, could i cook an egg?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've never heard that one, but "slow" wouldn't even begin to describe the cooking rate a .2 to .6 watt (not sure where you get 3 watts, but .2 to .6 is what google tells me) omnidirectional signal could do to an egg.

Also, since the signals are in the radio range, not the microwave range, I'm not sure they can even be absorbed.

If a cell phone could cook an egg, don't you think we'd all have rather crispy ears by now?

Moonbear said:
If a cell phone could cook an egg, don't you think we'd all have rather crispy ears by now?

Obviously you've never spent two hours talking on a cell phone. :tongue2:

Ivan Seeking said:
Obviously you've never spent two hours talking on a cell phone. :tongue2:
Definitely not all at once anyway! The two hour phone calls have all been on land lines, and my ear does start getting warm, but I don't think that has anything to do with the phone.

Moonbear said:
Definitely not all at once anyway! The two hour phone calls have all been on land lines, and my ear does start getting warm, but I don't think that has anything to do with the phone.

Every now and again I have to spend hours and hours on mine over a period of days. After about an hour they start getting hot, and uncomfortably so. But this is just the battery and circuits getting hot. And in fact some cell batteries have caught on fire, even while in people's pockets.

Ivan Seeking said:
Every now and again I have to spend hours and hours on mine over a period of days. After about an hour they start getting hot, and uncomfortably so. But this is just the battery and circuits getting hot. And in fact some cell batteries have caught on fire, even while in people's pockets.

I remember an investigation that showed a tremendous number of cell phone batteries are knock-offs! One of the problems is that they get hot much quicker then the real batteries.

There was an experiment in an episode of the UK TV series "Brainiac - Science Abuse" where they surrounded an egg with 100 mobile phones, rang them all and then checked to see if the egg was boiled.

It wasn't altered in any perceivable way, it was still a gooey mess.

AlphaNumeric said:
There was an experiment in an episode of the UK TV series "Brainiac - Science Abuse" where they surrounded an egg with 100 mobile phones, rang them all and then checked to see if the egg was boiled.

Aah, you have to love the rigourous scientific manner in which they conduct their experiments... :uhh:

Damn enteretaining though. :biggrin:

matthyaouw said:
Aah, you have to love the rigourous scientific manner in which they conduct their experiments... :uhh:

Damn enteretaining though. :biggrin:

Yeah, got to love those big breaste... err.. brained... "scientists" they get to perform their experiments.

AlphaNumeric said:

They attempted to spark an explosion with mobile phones too, they failed, but, a man wearing a nyon suit coupled to a long wire could.

1. Can a cell phone really cook an egg?

Yes, it is possible to cook an egg with a cell phone. However, it is not recommended as it can be dangerous and may damage your phone.

2. How does a cell phone cook an egg?

A cell phone can potentially cook an egg by using its radio frequency waves to generate heat. When these waves are emitted, they can create a small amount of heat that can be transferred to the egg, causing it to cook.

3. Is it safe to eat an egg cooked with a cell phone?

No, it is not safe to eat an egg that has been cooked with a cell phone. The heat generated by the phone may not be enough to fully cook the egg, leaving it at risk for bacteria growth. Additionally, the chemicals and radiation from the phone can also contaminate the egg.

4. What type of cell phone can be used to cook an egg?

Any type of cell phone has the potential to cook an egg, as long as it has a strong enough signal to emit radio frequency waves. However, it is not recommended to try this with any phone as it can cause damage to the phone and potentially pose a safety risk.

5. Are there any other foods that can be cooked with a cell phone?

Yes, in theory, any food that can be cooked with heat can potentially be cooked with a cell phone. However, as previously mentioned, it is not recommended to use a cell phone as a cooking tool as it can be dangerous and damage the phone. It is always best to use proper cooking methods and appliances for food preparation.