Producing Iron Oxide: Easier & Faster Ways?

• Thread starter nick48
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary, the conversation revolves around the production of iron oxide and ways to produce it in larger quantities and faster. Some suggestions include using a high current output converter, a fully charged 12/24 volt battery, and catalyzing the solution with saline or hydrogen peroxide. The conversation also touches on using a combination of steel wool, bleach, and vinegar to produce rust, and the possibility of using other forms of iron oxide such as hematite. It is also suggested to seek information from someone knowledgeable in the subject or to collect rust from old dumpsters.
nick48
I am trying to produce iron oxide by placing a iron screw in a glass of water and electrifying it. Is there an easier way to produce rust in larger quantities faster?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Trying to make thermite are we?

Yes. Put many small pieces of scrap steel in salt water.

nick48 said:
I am trying to produce iron oxide by placing a iron screw in a glass of water and electrifying it. Is there an easier way to produce rust in larger quantities faster?

1. A High current output http://abp.com/High_Power_AC-DC_Converter.shtml" [Broken] (Heavy Duty Cycle).
Note: Must be AC to DC and not DC to AC.

2. A fully Charged 12/24 volt http://www.dcbattery.com/rolls.html" [Broken] will work very well.
24 volt High Current output seems to of worked for me when I used to
do Oxide Experiments with Electrolysis, I found there to be a lot of
variety with replacing Saline H2O with Saline H2O2 or http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&defl=en&q=define:saline" "[URL [Broken]
Peroxide[/URL] 35% by grade.

Note: Solution catalysis - The most commonly used solution http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/catalysis/introduction.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Averagesupernova said:
Trying to make thermite are we?

That was exactly my thought.

I recall that with a little care you can make large quantities of relatively pure rust by mixing steel wool, bleach and vinegar together. Once the rust has formed dilute it with lots of water in a bucket. Leave it to settle, then siphon as much water as possible out. The remaining sludge you can spread out on that oven paper stuff and bake in the oven at a fairly low temperature. Afterwards just screw up the paper and the iron oxide should flake right off. Be careful though; bleach and vinegar gives off a nast amount of chlorine (i think). Whatever gas it is, I'm pretty sure it's poisonous, so do it in a well ventilated space blah blah blah. I am not sure what the best bleach-vinegar ratio was, but maybe it was around 3-1?
This was a while ago so there may be some mistakes; please don't hesitate to correct me.

Oh, and another thing, isn't it possible to make thermite using something else like hemitite? Isn't that just another isotype of iron oxide?

Try searching for some of mrjeffery321 (or something like that) He seems to be quite knowledgeable about these things

Or better yet : find an old alley. There are dumpsters with lots of rust chips that can be taken from the ground.

1. What is iron oxide and why is it important?

Iron oxide is a chemical compound composed of iron and oxygen. It is commonly known as rust and has a reddish-brown color. It is important because it has various industrial and commercial applications, such as in the production of steel, pigments, and magnetic materials.

2. What are the traditional methods of producing iron oxide?

The traditional methods of producing iron oxide involve the reaction between iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air. This process is slow and requires high temperatures, making it energy-intensive and time-consuming.

3. How can iron oxide be produced easier and faster?

Newer methods, such as the thermal decomposition of iron salts or the oxidation of iron nanoparticles, have been developed to produce iron oxide easier and faster. These methods require lower temperatures and produce higher yields in a shorter amount of time.

4. What are the benefits of using easier and faster methods for producing iron oxide?

The use of easier and faster methods for producing iron oxide can lead to cost savings and increased efficiency in industrial processes. It also reduces the carbon footprint and energy consumption associated with traditional methods.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using easier and faster methods for producing iron oxide?

While these methods have many benefits, some potential drawbacks may include higher initial costs for equipment and the need for specialized knowledge and training to operate the processes. There may also be concerns about the safety and environmental impact of these newer methods, which should be carefully evaluated.