Solving Sound Interference: Find Diff. Freq. Destructive Interference

In summary, we are trying to find a point x where the two sound waves with frequencies f(1) and f(2) cancel each other out due to being out of phase by pi radians. This can be achieved by adding the wave functions and solving for the time when they cancel, giving us the desired equation dt = (x/v) - t.
kahless2005
Given for the problem:
A speaker sends out two sound waves with equal Amplitudes but the frequencies are f(1) and f(2) respectively. The motion of sound as w = A * cos(k*x - t*(Omega)). The wave number's and the angular frequency's definition are the same for light.

Find for the problem:
Show that at a distance x directly in front of the speaker, there is destructive interference between the waves with a frequency f(1) - f(2).

My solution so far:
w(1) = A * cos((2PI/(Lambda(1))) * x - (2PI * f(1) * t)
w(2) = A * cos((2PI/(Lambda(2))) * x - (2PI * f(2) * t)

I assume that the final equation will be in the form of:
dt = (x / v) - t
where v is the speed of sound

A little advice please!

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope i put this in the right section... It is a Sophmre level physics class... :blushing:

kahless2005 said:
Given for the problem:
A speaker sends out two sound waves with equal Amplitudes but the frequencies are f(1) and f(2) respectively. The motion of sound as w = A * cos(k*x - t*(Omega)). The wave number's and the angular frequency's definition are the same for light.

Find for the problem:
Show that at a distance x directly in front of the speaker, there is destructive interference between the waves with a frequency f(1) - f(2).

My solution so far:
w(1) = A * cos((2PI/(Lambda(1))) * x - (2PI * f(1) * t)
w(2) = A * cos((2PI/(Lambda(2))) * x - (2PI * f(2) * t)

I assume that the final equation will be in the form of:
dt = (x / v) - t
where v is the speed of sound

A little advice please!

Hint: You are looking for a point, x, where the two waves are out of phase by pi radians.

-Dan

"Destructive Interference" in this case is time-dependent cancellation of the total amplitude (that means add the wave functions), at any location.
This is in contrast to location-dependent cancellation of the total amplitude
(an interference pattern) at all time.

Choose an x-value, and add the wave forms ; see when (time) they cancel.

1. What is sound interference?

Sound interference is when two or more sound waves come together and interact with each other. This can result in a change in the amplitude, frequency, or direction of the sound waves.

2. How does sound interference occur?

Sound interference occurs when two or more sound waves are traveling in the same medium and overlap with each other. This can happen when two sources are producing sound at the same time, or when a sound wave reflects off of a surface and interferes with the original wave.

3. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference is when two sound waves of equal amplitude and opposite phase meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in the overall amplitude of the sound wave.

4. How can you find the difference in frequency for destructive interference?

To find the difference in frequency for destructive interference, you can use the formula: Δf = c/d, where c is the speed of sound in the medium and d is the distance between the two sound sources.

5. How can sound interference be solved?

To solve sound interference, the sources producing the sound waves can be adjusted to change the amplitude, frequency, or phase of the waves. Another solution is to physically move the sources further apart to reduce the interference. Additionally, using sound-absorbing materials or creating barriers between the sources can also help to reduce interference.