Inverse Laplace Transformation

In summary, solving for the inverse Laplace transformation of \{ 1/(s^3 + 1)\}(t) requires breaking up the denominator, using partial fractions, and solving for coefficients A, B, and C. The final equation is then substituted back into the original equation to solve for the inverse transform. The third term can be simplified by playing around with a transform in the table until it aligns with the given equation.
playboy
Okay I really really need somebody to help me :cry:

Find the Inverse Laplace Transformation of [itex]\{ 1/(s^3 + 1)\}(t)[/itex]

(for those of you who don't know, you look it up in a table. the closest thing that I can find is [itex]\{ 1/(s^2 + 1)\}(t)[/itex] which is sin(t) )

Well, I started of by breaking up [itex]s^3 + 1[/itex] into [itex](s+1)(s^2 - s + 1)[/itex]

After this, I am so lost because [itex]s^2 - s + 1[/itex] cannot be broken up any further...

anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
COMPLETE THE SQUARE!

s2-s+1 can be written as a perfect square plus something:
s2-s+ 1/4+ 1-1/4= s2-s+ 1/4+ 3/4
= (s- 1/2)2 + 3/4

HallsofIvy, thank you for that.
I was thinking of completeing the square, but it made things even more messy.

The question no becomes:

Take the inverse leplace transformation of

[itex]\{ 1/(s^3 + 1)\}(t)[/itex]
=[itex]\{ 1/(s+1)((s- 1/2)^2 + 3/4)\}(t)[/itex]
=[itex]\{ 1/(s+1)(s- 1/2)^2\}[/tex] + [itex]\{ 1/(s+1)(3/4))\}(t)[/itex]

and this inverse leplace transformation is too messy: [itex]\{ 1/(s+1)(s- 1/2)^2\}[/itex]

no that's not too messy man! You can do it! You mean:

[tex] \frac{1}{(s+1)(s-(1/2)^2)} [/tex]

yeah?
In fact you don't don't even have to bother finding any constants, these should be right in your table.

Last edited:
you made an error, I am looking for the Inverse Laplace Transformation of:
[tex] \frac{1}{(s+1)(s-(1/2))^2} [/tex]

I looked that up in my textbook, and no, its not in the tabel :(

Then i tried partial fractions to break it up and boy, that too isn't any easier...

So I have absolutly no idea what to do with this?

[tex]\frac{t^{n}}{n!}e^{-\alpha t} \cdot u(t) =\frac{1}{(s+\alpha)^{n+1}}[/tex]

Don't be upset if that one's not in your book, I had to fish around to find it my first time too. From there I think you can do a partial fraction expansion right? maybe?

Im so lost right now... :(

I want to break [tex] \frac{1}{(s+1)(s-(1/2))^2} [/tex] = [tex] \frac{A}{(s+1)} + \frac{B}{(s-(1/2)} + \frac{C}{(s-(1/2))^2} [/tex] = [tex] \frac{A}{(s+1)} + \frac{B((s-(1/2)) + C}{(s-(1/2))^2} [/tex]

I tried solving for A, B and C like 3 times and got different answers :(

Obviously you aren't going to find an inverse transform for
[tex]\frac{1}{(s+1)(s-\frac{1}{2})^2}[/tex]
in a table- reduce it by partial fractions.

As you say, you want
[tex]\frac{1}{(s+1)(s-\frac{1}{2})^2}= \frac{A}{s+1}+ \frac{B}{(s-\frac{1}{2})}+ \frac{C}{(s-\frac{1}{2})^2}[/tex]

Multiply on both sides by the common denominator and you get
[tex]1= A(s-\frac{1}{2})^2+ B(s+1)(s-\frac{1}{2})+ C(s+1)[/tex]
Taking x= -1 gives 1= A(-3/2) so A= -2/3.
Taking x= 1/2 gives 1= c(3/2) so C= 2/3.
Taking x= 0 gives 1= -A/2- B/2+ C or 1= -1/3- B/2+ 2/3 so B/2= 2/3- 1/3- 1= -2/3 and B= -1/3.

HallsofIvy said:
Obviously you aren't going to find an inverse transform for
[tex]\frac{1}{(s+1)(s-\frac{1}{2})^2}[/tex]
in a table- reduce it by partial fractions.

As you say, you want
[tex]\frac{1}{(s+1)(s-\frac{1}{2})^2}= \frac{A}{s+1}+ \frac{B}{(s-\frac{1}{2})}+ \frac{C}{(s-\frac{1}{2})^2}[/tex]

Multiply on both sides by the common denominator and you get
Taking x= -1 gives 1= A(-3/2) so A= -2/3.
Taking x= 1/2 gives 1= c(3/2) so C= 2/3.
Taking x= 0 gives 1= -A/2- B/2+ C or 1= -1/3- B/2+ 2/3 so B/2= 2/3- 1/3- 1= -2/3 and B= -1/3.

You forgot to square the factor in your A equation, and you solved for B incorrectly.
s=-1 gives 1 = A(-3/2)^2 so A = 4/9.
s=1/2 gives 1 = C(3/2) so C = 2/3
s=0 gives 1 = A(-1/2)^2 + B(-1/2) + C or 1 = A/4 - B/2 + C so B/2 = -1 + 1/9 + 2/3 = -2/9. So B = -4/9.

-Dan

omg, i was actually expanding this:

and trying to equate cooeffiecnts... which got soooo messy...

okay, this is getting ridiculus.

After solving for A, B, C, and substituting the values back into the original equation, we get...

[tex]\frac{1}{(s+1)(s-\frac{1}{2})^2}= \frac{(4/9)}{s+1}+ \frac{(-4/9)}{(s-\frac{1}{2})}+ \frac{(2/3)}{(s-\frac{1}{2})^2}[/tex]

The first two terms for an Inverse Leplace Transform are easy, however, the thrid term is messy again.

How on Earth do you take the inverse leplace transform of this:

[tex]\frac{(2/3)}{(s-\frac{1}{2})^2}[/tex]

do you complete the square again?

playboy said:
okay, this is getting ridiculus.

After solving for A, B, C, and substituting the values back into the original equation, we get...

[tex]\frac{1}{(s+1)(s-\frac{1}{2})^2}= \frac{(4/9)}{s+1}+ \frac{(-4/9)}{(s-\frac{1}{2})}+ \frac{(2/3)}{(s-\frac{1}{2})^2}[/tex]

The first two terms for an Inverse Leplace Transform are easy, however, the thrid term is messy again.

How on Earth do you take the inverse leplace transform of this:

[tex]\frac{(2/3)}{(s-\frac{1}{2})^2}[/tex]

do you complete the square again?

Never mind, I figured this one out.

You have to play around with one of the transforms in the tabel in the book, then it works.

1. What is an Inverse Laplace Transformation?

An Inverse Laplace Transformation is a mathematical process that takes a function in the complex frequency domain and transforms it back to its original form in the time domain. It is the reverse operation of the Laplace Transformation, which is used to convert functions from the time domain to the frequency domain.

2. What is the purpose of an Inverse Laplace Transformation?

The purpose of an Inverse Laplace Transformation is to solve differential equations and systems of differential equations in the time domain. It is a powerful tool in engineering and science, as it allows us to analyze and model complex systems that involve changes over time.

3. How is an Inverse Laplace Transformation performed?

An Inverse Laplace Transformation is typically performed by using a table of Laplace transforms or through the use of complex integration techniques. It involves finding the inverse Laplace transform of a given function, which is the function in the time domain that corresponds to the given function in the frequency domain.

4. What are the applications of Inverse Laplace Transformation?

Inverse Laplace Transformation has a wide range of applications in various fields such as control systems, signal processing, circuit analysis, and fluid dynamics. It is used to solve differential equations and model the behavior of dynamic systems, making it a crucial tool in engineering and scientific research.

5. Is the Inverse Laplace Transformation always possible?

No, an Inverse Laplace Transformation is not always possible. In order for an inverse transformation to exist, the function in the frequency domain must be a Laplace transformable function. This means that it must have a Laplace transform that is well-defined and converges for all values of the complex variable s. If a function does not meet these criteria, then an inverse transformation does not exist.