Single switch for two items

• Thread starter saad ahmed khan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary, the person is looking for a selector switch that can choose between a CD drive and a cassette player motor, with an option for an off position. They need a Double Pole Double Throw Centre-Off type switch, and are requesting a picture and wiring diagram. The person providing the answer will sketch it out later on a different computer.
saad ahmed khan
hello every one
i was wondering what type of switch should i use if i wanted to use two items namely a cd drive and a cassette player motor. both of them are connected to two separate power supplies which means two positve wires and two negative wires. i want to use that type of selector switch which can select between the cd drive and the motor and one selection for off position.
can anybody advise and also send me a pic and wiring diagram of the switch if any.
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need a Double Pole Double Throw Centre-Off type. Turning it one way will connect wires A & B together. The other way will connect wires C & D. The middle position leaves no contact at all.
I'll get into Paint in a while here and do up a sketch.

edit: No I won't. W's machine, which I'm working on now, doesn't have it. It'll have to wait until I can do it on the Mac and transfer it over to post.

Last edited:

There are a few different options for a switch that can control both a CD drive and a cassette player motor. One option could be a single-pole double-throw (SPDT) switch, which has three terminals and can connect one input to either of two outputs. Another option could be a double-pole double-throw (DPDT) switch, which has six terminals and can connect two inputs to either of two outputs.

In terms of wiring, you would need to connect the positive and negative wires from each device to the corresponding terminals on the switch. The remaining terminal on the switch would be connected to the power supply. When the switch is in the "off" position, neither device will receive power.

As for a wiring diagram and picture, it would depend on the specific switch you choose. I suggest doing some research and finding a switch that fits your needs and then looking for a wiring diagram and picture for that specific switch. You can also consult with an electrician for further guidance and assistance. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is a single switch for two items?

A single switch for two items is a device that allows for the control of two different items with a single switch. This can be useful in situations where there is limited space or for individuals with physical limitations.

2. How does a single switch for two items work?

A single switch for two items typically operates on a toggle or rocker mechanism, allowing for two different items to be controlled by either pushing or pulling the switch. The switch is connected to both items, allowing for simultaneous control.

3. What are some advantages of using a single switch for two items?

One advantage is that it eliminates the need for multiple switches, which can be confusing or difficult for some individuals. It also saves space and can be more cost-effective than purchasing two separate switches.

4. What types of items can be controlled with a single switch for two items?

A single switch for two items can be used to control a wide range of items, including lights, fans, appliances, and electronic devices such as TVs or computers. It can also be used for more specialized items such as wheelchair lifts or home automation systems.

5. Are there any potential limitations or drawbacks to using a single switch for two items?

Some potential limitations may include the need for proper installation and compatibility with the items being controlled. Additionally, if one of the items malfunctions, it may affect the functioning of the other item. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs and limitations before using a single switch for two items.