Is this probability answer correct?

• Thread starter island-boy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, it's possible to integrate the variables separately and get the same answer as if you had integrated them together, but the limit problem will arise if you do so.
island-boy
given a joint probability distribution f(x,y) which exists for every x, y > 0, and is 0 elsewhere. Is the conditional probability P(x<y | x<2y) always equal to 1 for any values of f(x,y)? Am I correct in this?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what you're asking of what your answer is supposed to be. It is not true that P(x < y | x < 2y) = 1. x and y are just numbers, not probability distributions, so you can't talk about the probability that they take on particular values. It would make more sense to write P(X < Y | X < 2Y) = 1, but this is not true either. What do you mean "for any values of f(x, y)"? Are you visualizing the PDF correctly?

To answer the question asked, the way to do it is to find a function of x and y that integrates to some finite value over x > 0, y > 0, and normalize that function so it sums to 1 over that domain. Then let your PDF function equal 0 for all x or y < 0, and for x > 0, y > 0, let it be your other function.

I take it that (x<y)|(x<2y) means (x<y) OR (x<2y). Of course, if x< y then x< 2y for y>0 so you are really asking P(X<Y) (Orthodontist's point is correct, although I would say that X and Y {as opposed to the numbers x and y} are "random variables" rather than numbers). Certainly, it is possible for some probability distribution, f(x,y), that Y> X!

Usually P(A|B) means the probability of A given B, or
[tex]\frac {P(A \cap B)}{P(B)}[/tex]

although I would say that X and Y {as opposed to the numbers x and y} are "random variables" rather than numbers
Good point

Last edited:
I'll pose the original question:
if f(x,y) = e^(-x-y) for every x, y > 0 and is 0 otherwise, what is the conditional probability P(X<Y|X<2Y)?

my take is that since the area of X<2Y is inside the area of X<Y for x,y>0 then the probability is 1.

or said another way
P(X<Y|X<2Y)
=P(X<Y interection X<2Y)/P(X<2Y)
=P(X<2Y)/P(X<2y)
=1

so whatever the joint distribution given in the problem, the answer asked is always 1.

Is this correct?

No. Use the formula I gave. You have to integrate over the region where X < Y, and then integrate over the region where X < 2Y, and then divide one by the other. Intuitively you should know that your answer doesn't make sense. What if X = 3 and Y = 2?

if I did that, I would get 3/2, but all probabilities should be between 0 and 1...

ETA... DOH!
I think I figured out what I did wrong, instead of graphing X<2Y, I am using 2X<Y
let me try to solve that again...

EETA: got it, the answer is 3/4 right?

On a related note, in doing double integration for example:
solving for:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{1}^{\infty} e^{-(x+y)} dx dy[/tex]
we get
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \lim_{b\rightarrow\infty} [-e^{-y-x}]_{1}^{b}dy[/tex]
now my question is:
for this part: [tex]\lim_{b\rightarrow\infty} [-e^{-y-x}]_{1}^{b}[/tex] can we equate [tex] \lim_{b\rightarrow\infty}-e^{-y-b}[/tex] to 0 even if y is still a variable yet ot be integrated?

Last edited:
I think you got your answer right.
Now for your other question, i would just integrate your variables separately.
i.e. separate Exp(-(x+y)) in Exp(-x)*Exp(-y) and consideder Exp(-y) as a constant when you integrate Exp(-x). The subtle limit problem that arises is therefore avoided.

hey, yeah, that's a way to avoid the limit. thanks!

1. How do you know if a probability answer is correct?

The best way to determine if a probability answer is correct is to compare it to the expected value. This can be done using mathematical calculations or by conducting experiments and collecting data.

2. Can a probability answer be wrong?

Yes, it is possible for a probability answer to be incorrect. This can happen if the data used to calculate the probability is inaccurate or if the calculation is done incorrectly.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of a probability answer?

Several factors can impact the accuracy of a probability answer, such as the quality and quantity of data, the assumptions made in the calculation, and any errors in the calculation process.

4. How can I improve my understanding of probability to ensure my answer is correct?

To improve your understanding of probability, it is important to study and practice various concepts and techniques. You can also seek guidance from experts and peers, as well as engage in real-world applications of probability.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help me check the accuracy of my probability answer?

Yes, there are several tools and resources available to help you check the accuracy of your probability answer. These include online calculators, statistical software programs, and textbooks or online tutorials on probability.