What is the Meaning of Battery is Shorted and What Happens When It is Shorted?

In summary, the problem is that the battery is supplying current to an external resistance, and when the battery is shorted the power dissipated will be maximum.
app
INTRODUCTION:Here is a problem on "Heating Effect Of Current".I can't understand a part of it.
EXACT PROBLEM: "A battery of emf E and internal resistance r is supplying current to an external resistance R.(a)Show that the power dissipated in R will be maximum when R=r.(b)What is the maximum power?(c)What would happen if the battery is shorted?"
WHAT MY BRAIN SUGGESTED:(a)The current in the circuit is i=E/(R+r).Power dissipated is P=(i^2)r.Now putting the value of i, we find that P will be maximum when denominator is minimum,i.e. (R-r)^2 is 0. So, R=r.
(b)Putting r in place of R in the power equation, we get maximum power as (E^2)/4r.
(c) ***ERROR***The word "shorted" is not yet registered in the PHYSICS part of my brain .BRAIN CANNOT SUGGEST ANYTHING.SORRY.
CONFUSION:What does "battery is shorted" mean?And what would happen if the battery is shorted?
CONCLUSION:Physics Forums say that it is necessary to show that one has tried a particular problem in order to be answered.But what can one do if he cannot understand the meaning of a term?(I don't know what exactly "shorted" is).How will i prove that I've really tried part (c)?Nevertheless, I've tried to show that i know the other things of "Heating Effect Of Current".If you still don't believe me i have nothing to say. But if you do help me, thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, I think shorted implies a short circuit, and the heating effect of current is joule heating--Joule's Law.

"The battery is shorted" means that instead of connecting an external resistance across the battery terminals you connect a plain conducting wire across them. Assume the wire has zero resistance and thus creates the so-called "short circuit".

so in this case, what would happen if the battery is shorted. plesae explain. it is the first time I'm coming across short circuit problems. thanks.

Just redo your analysis, only this time have R = 0.

thanks a lot.

1. What is the heating effect of current?

The heating effect of current refers to the phenomenon where electric current flowing through a conductor produces heat. This is due to the resistance of the conductor, which causes the conversion of electrical energy into heat energy.

2. How does the heating effect of current occur?

The heating effect of current occurs when the electrons in the conductor collide with the atoms of the material, causing them to vibrate and produce heat. The higher the resistance of the material, the more collisions and heat produced.

3. What factors affect the heating effect of current?

The heating effect of current is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the current, the resistance of the material, and the duration of the current flow. The type of material and its temperature also play a role in the amount of heat produced.

4. How is the heating effect of current useful?

The heating effect of current has numerous practical applications, such as in electric heaters, toasters, and hair dryers. It is also used in industrial processes such as welding and melting metals. In scientific research, it is used to measure the resistance of materials.

5. What are the safety concerns related to the heating effect of current?

The heating effect of current can be dangerous if not properly managed. High temperatures can cause burns or start fires, and excessive current flow can damage equipment or cause electric shocks. It is important to use appropriate safety measures and follow guidelines when working with electric currents.