Why was the higher order derivative defined this way?

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of higher order derivatives in the context of Banach spaces. The definition of D^2 f(u) is given and a question is raised about its precise definition. The purpose of considering derivatives is also mentioned, including the perspective of D being a linear functional and D^2 being a bilinear functional. Reference is also made to the study of differential forms.
cliowa
Let E, F be Banach spaces, and let [itex]L(E;F)[/itex] denote the space of linear, bounded maps between E and F. My goal is to understand better higher order derivatives.
Let's take [itex]E=\mathbb{R}^2, F=\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Consider a function [itex]f:U\subset\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex], where U is an open subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]. Then [itex]D^2 f:U\rightarrow L(\mathbb{R}^2;L(\mathbb{R}^2;\mathbb{R}))[/itex].
Now, I read that for [itex]u\in U, v,w\in\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] by definition [itex]D^2 f(u)\cdot (v,w):=D((Df)(.)\cdot w)\cdot v[/itex]. My question now is: Why was this defined precisely this way?
Does it have something to do with "using the product rule", which would amount to [itex]D((Df)(.)\cdot w)=D^2 f(.)\cdot w+Df(.)\cdot D(w)=D^2 f(.)\cdot w[/itex]?
Thanks for any help. Best regards...Cliowa

Physics news on Phys.org
It has to do with the definition of derivatives. ##D^2(f)= D(D(f))##. We get a bilinear functional from that. How to consider a derivative is a matter of purpose. E.g. look at the ten point list at the beginning of
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/journey-manifold-su2mathbbc-part/where I listed a few of such perspectives. Your view is: ##D## is a linear functional, and ##D^2## a bilinear. Look up differential forms. E.g.
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-pantheon-of-derivatives-i/

What are higher order derivatives?

Higher order derivatives are derivatives of derivatives. In other words, they are the rate of change of the rate of change of a function.

Why are higher order derivatives important?

Higher order derivatives can provide valuable information about the behavior of a function, particularly at points of inflection or critical points. They can also be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.

How do you find higher order derivatives?

To find higher order derivatives, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the complexity of the function. Each rule will yield a new function, which can then be differentiated again to find higher order derivatives.

What is the notation used for higher order derivatives?

The notation used for higher order derivatives is a combination of prime (') symbols and the order of the derivative. For example, the second derivative of a function f(x) would be written as f''(x) or d2f/dx2.

What is the connection between higher order derivatives and Taylor series?

Higher order derivatives play an important role in Taylor series, which is a way to represent a function as a polynomial. The coefficients of the polynomial are determined by the values of the higher order derivatives at a single point. This allows for the approximation of a function using a finite number of terms in the series.