Current amplifier needed? How? :=)

In summary, the conversation discusses building a power supply for a GM-tube with a needed supply voltage of 550V, using a Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier. The issue is that there is not enough current being drained from the circuit generating square waves, resulting in only 250V output. The solution is to use a current amplifier, such as a transistor, before the transformer, and a push pull is used to solve the problem.
Buran
Hi.
I am building a power suply for a GM-tube tha needs a suply voltage of 550V. I am using a Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplyer. The problem I have is that it seems like I can't drain enough current from the circuit generating the squarewaves (the circuit on the picture). I have a peak to peak voltage of 8V and a frequency of 6.3kHz. I only get around 250V when I try it but if I connect a frequency generator, with the same voltage and frequency, everything works. I was thinking that I maybe need some sort of current amplifier before the transformer. I know you can do it with a transistor, but I can't find a working solution och the net. Unfortunatele I'm a totall beginner at electronics and I'm in a hurry, so if someone can please help me asap I would be really really grateful .
If someone knows anything I would be glad if you could explain it and show me exactly how to set it up since I'm quite lost :=)
Thanks!

Attachments

• kretsschema till forum2.bmp
    24 KB · Views: 564
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well.. I finally solved the problem by myself ;=) ... I used a push pull before the transformer.

Thanks
//Daniel

Hi there! It sounds like you are experiencing some difficulties with your power supply for the GM-tube. It's great that you are using a Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier, but it seems like you are not able to get enough current from the circuit generating the square waves. This could be due to a few reasons, such as a mismatch in voltage and frequency, or the circuit not being able to handle the load of the GM-tube.

One solution could be to use a current amplifier before the transformer. This amplifier would increase the current coming from your square wave circuit, allowing it to meet the demands of the GM-tube. There are various ways to build a current amplifier, but one way is to use a transistor in a common emitter configuration. You can find many tutorials and guides online for this, and it would be best to choose one that fits your specific circuit and components.

I understand that you are a beginner in electronics and are in a hurry, so it may be helpful to seek assistance from someone with more experience or knowledge in this area. They can guide you through the process and help you troubleshoot any issues that may arise. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

What is a current amplifier?

A current amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that is used to increase the magnitude of an electrical current signal.

Why would a current amplifier be needed?

A current amplifier may be needed in situations where the input current signal is too weak or needs to be amplified for further processing or measurement.

How does a current amplifier work?

A current amplifier works by using active components, such as transistors or operational amplifiers, to increase the current signal while maintaining the same waveform as the input signal.

What are some common applications for current amplifiers?

Current amplifiers are commonly used in electronic equipment, such as audio amplifiers, sensors, and communication systems, to amplify weak current signals for further processing or transmission.

How do you choose the right current amplifier for a specific application?

The right current amplifier for a specific application depends on factors such as the desired amplification level, frequency range, and input and output impedance. It is important to carefully consider these factors and choose an amplifier with the appropriate specifications for the desired application.