Pope's top exorcist says Harry Potter is 'king of darkness'

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
In summary, Pope Benedict XVI's chief exorcist, Rev. Gabriele Amorth, has called fictional wizard-in-training Harry Potter the "king of darkness, the devil." Amorth believes that the series contains many positive references to "the satanic art" of magic and makes no distinction between black and white magic. Amorth compared the Potter character to dictators Stalin and Hitler, saying they were possessed by the devil. This is perceived by Catholics as crackpotism of the religious kind: Instead of misrepresenting the laws of physics and just making up science as they go, in this case, sacred truths and souls are at stake.
fourier jr
from the website of the Canadian broadcasting corporation:

Pope Benedict XVI's chief exorcist, Rev. Gabriele Amorth, has called fictional wizard-in-training Harry Potter the "king of darkness, the devil."

Amorth, who is also the president of the International Association of Exorcists, said the series contains many positive references to "the satanic art" of magic and makes no distinction between black and white magic.

Amorth compared the Potter character to dictators Stalin and Hitler, saying they were possessed by the devil.

etc etc
http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/09/03/harrypotter-exorcist-pope.html

:rofl: that;s so crazy. it's almost like harry potter isn't a fictional character...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
But I thought exorcists were fictional...

They are, except in their own minds. It's quite an irritating paradox. :grumpy:

On the bright side, this should once and for all put away the myth about the infallibility of the pope.

This is just sad...

Danger said:
They are, except in their own minds. It's quite an irritating paradox. :grumpy:

Hmm... What's the difference between an exorcist and a character from a fictional children's novel?
DSM-IV is nonfiction and not for children.

That's just crazy talk. Harry Potter can't be the devil, because, as everyone knows, the devil is actually Barney the Dinosaur.

Now that everyone is having so much fun ridiculing religion, which in itself I think is disallowed as a religious discussion [or is this a one way street?], note that this is about basic beliefs of good and evil. Obviously the HP story conveys ideas about good and evil that are in conflict with Catholic beliefs. This is perceived by Catholics as crackpotism of the religious kind: Instead of misrepresenting the laws of physics and just making up science as they go, in this case, sacred truths and souls are at stake.

I think the short of it is that by Catholic beliefs, Harry would have to be evil, yet he is protrayed as a hero.

Last edited:
yeah, but I think we can all agree on one thing. Hermione is a fox.

Rach3 said:
Hmm... What's the difference between an exorcist and a character from a fictional children's novel?
Not as much as you seem to think. While the physical presence of one is real, his alleged effectiveness is fictional.

Has anyone told Ozzy...

edit: hardly surprising the church has got a bit confused over fictional vs. real tho' :biggrin:

Last edited:
Rach3 said:
But I thought exorcists were fictional...
They are! :rofl: But it doesn't stop people from 'believing' in them and other supernatural or fictious entities.

. . . makes no distinction between black and white magic.
Ummm . . . maybe the readers can figure it out for themselves without some religious authority dictating to or deciding for them.

These guys need to lighten up! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Ummm . . . maybe the readers can figure it out for themselves without some religious authority dictating to or deciding for them.

If you are a Catholic you are bound by faith to listen to these authorities. That's how their religion works. If you choose not to have faith in their religion, why would you care? No one is twisting anyone's arm here.

This is a bit like the "did the reporter actually convert to Islam" question. Who cares unless the reporters themselves takes it seriously.

I was actually thinking of readers in general, i.e. most people could tell the difference between 'white' and 'dark', or 'good' and 'evil', and most people do not need an authority to tell them what is 'white' and what is 'dark' every step of the way. It is unnecessary for Rowling to explicitly tell the reader that a particular magic is 'white/good' or 'black/evil'. Most parents probably can adequately explain this to their children.

Besides - I am compelled to challenge all authority, except for the PF sisterhood. That's what recalcitrant heathens do. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
If you choose not to have faith in their religion, why would you care? No one is twisting anyone's arm here.
Really Ivan? How many times were you made to go to church before you were considered old enough to decide for yourself? What's the difference between indoctrination and arm twisting?

Astro, I didn't realize that non-catholics follow catholic teachings.

Sorry, but this sounds like simple religion bashing to me. Shall we take Catholic doctrine one subject at a time just to ridicule it?

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Really Ivan? How many times were you made to go to church before you were considered old enough to decide for yourself? What's the difference between indoctrination and arm twisting?

That was a choice made by my parents, not the catholic church.

I quit going at age 13.

According to the Catholics and the Mormons [and probably a few other churches I've attended], I'm going to hell, so its not like I have a great desire to defend their beliefs, but I do defend their right to have them.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
That was a choice made by my parents, not the catholic church.
<redacted>

This is getting unnecessarily personal and off-topic. I apologize.

Last edited:
Wow, Ivan is a lot angrier than I remembered. Nobody is bashing your religiion. They are bashing your religion's beliefs.

Ivan Seeking said:
Astro, I didn't realize that non-catholics follow catholic teachings.

Sorry, but this sounds like simple religion bashing to me. Shall we take Catholic doctrine one subject at a time just to ridicule it?
I was not focusing on or singling the Catholic religion, although I suppose Rev. Amorth's declaration applies to Catholics.

People are certainly free to believe whatever they wish. The way the OP was written, it appeared that one individual is making a declaration concerning all people. I simply challenge the declaration.

Gokul43201 said:
<redacted>

This is getting unnecessarily personal and off-topic. I apologize.

No need to apologize. I'm not catholic.

This is about ridiculing religion which is a disallowed subject. If ridicule is allowed, then believers should have a right to defend their beliefs, and we all know that we're not going there.

I wonder if Satanists are offended. I mean, their god has been called a wimpy kid

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
People are certainly free to believe whatever they wish. The way the OP was written, it appeared that one individual is making a declaration concerning all people. I simply challenge the declaration.

I know. It all sounds pretty silly to me as well, but obviously Catholic doctrine only applies to Catholics... well, unless they happen to be right! :uhh:

I was raised Catholic and I don't see this as an attack on Catholics or the Catholic religion, I see at as a rebuttal of his attack on a popular series of books.

Ahh, throwing in comments and being totally ignored. It's good to be back.

Evo said:
I was raised Catholic and I don't see this as an attack on Catholics or the Catholic religion, I see at as a rebuttal of his attack on a popular series of books.

It is a matter of faith. What is there to debate? If you accept Catholic doctrine then you listen to the pope.

Ivan, all that's happening here is a bunch of people expressing their disbelief and perhaps amusement that someone in a top position like Amorth's would compare "Harry Potter" with Hitler and Stalin!

Stop the arguing. everyone knows Harry Potter, Hitler and Stalin are fictional creatures. Stop fighting.

Ivan Seeking said:
It is a matter of faith. What is there to debate? If you accept Catholic doctrine then you listen to the pope.
Many Catholics, probably most, do not obey or believe everything the Pope or the church tells them.

Let's forget the source and just ask if anyone here thinks Harry Potter turns people towards the "dark" side? We don't need to bring Catholicism into the discussion at all.

Evo said:
Many Catholics, probably most, do not obey or believe everything the Pope or the church tells them.

Then they aren't following catholic doctrine.

Let's forget the source and just ask if anyone here thinks Harry Potter turns people towards the "dark" side? We don't need to bring Catholicism into the discussion at all.

How do we do this without discussing religion? What defines the dark side?

Ivan Seeking said:
Let's pretend George Bush made the Potter statement. This would make Potter out to be a liberal.

Evo said:
Let's pretend George Bush made the Potter statement. This would make Potter out to be a liberal.
Geez, now it's getting nasty! :biggrin:

Ahh, throwing in comments and being totally ignored. It's good to be back.
Awww. Come here, trib. I'll give you a hug. It's nice to have you back. :smile:

I've been condemned to Hell by various people, but then again, I don't go to places that don't exist. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Then they aren't following catholic doctrine.

it's easy to tell the dark side from the light. The dark side have red light sabers.

tribdog said:
it's easy to tell the dark side from the light. The dark side have red light sabers.
Yeah, but that's in another galaxy . . . far, far, far away. :biggrin:

tribdog said:

Well, the son of Vader was named Luke, but I don't think it's the same Luke that I learned about.

The other thing - how come everyone out there speaks English? Well, the humanoids that is.

And since there is not air in space, spacecraft shouldn't be making noise. :rolleyes: :grumpy: It's just not 'real'.

Back