Trying to learn linear algebra on my own

In summary, Waddup everyone seems to be trying to learn linear algebra on their own. They are a freshman and blah blah, who really cares. They are now to the math. Prove that if (v1,v2,v3) span V, then (v1+2v2, v2-v3, v3) also span V. Prove that if (v1,v2,v3) is linearly independent, then (v1+2v2, v2-v3, v3) is also linearly independent. Let P(|F) be the space of polynomials with coefficients in |F. Find two different subspaces of P
InbredDummy
Waddup everyone

I'm trying to learn linear algebra on my own. I'm a freshman, blah blah, who really cares, now to the math :)

1) Prove that if (v1,v2,v3) span V, then (v1 + 2v2, v2 - v3, v3) also span V

2)Prove that if (v1,v2,v3) is linearly independent, then (v1 + 2v2, v2 - v3, v3) is also linearly independent

3) let P(|F) be the space of polynomials with coefficients in |F
(i) Find two different subspaces of P(|F)
(ii) Find an infinite dimensional proper subspace of P(|F)

4) Let U,V be subspaces of F^7, such that U and the direct sum of V = F^7. if dim U=3, show that dim V=4.
(ii) does this remain true if all we know is that U+V=F^7 ?

i'm new at this, I've been reading the textbooks and what have you, but I'm not seeing the answers.

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I've seen on most of the homework posts...people usually want you to show what work you've done already..

im really stuck. i posted to see how more seasoned students would handle the problems and hopefully i can build from there.

You see, one of the things you need to realize is that 'seeing the answer' isn't how you get the answer. You have to write things down, puzzle over them for a while, check you understand the definitions and so on. Write out the definition of 'span' and try to figure out how to do 1) for yourself. If you know the definition of span and are happy with it then the answer will suddenly drop out.

For instance, the proof of 2) is gotten simply by writing out the definition of linearly dependent (i.e. the negation of linearly independent).

InbredDummy said:
Waddup everyone

I'm trying to learn linear algebra on my own. I'm a freshman, blah blah, who really cares, now to the math :)

1) Prove that if (v1,v2,v3) span V, then (v1 + 2v2, v2 - v3, v3) also span V
What is the definition of "span V"?

2)Prove that if (v1,v2,v3) is linearly independent, then (v1 + 2v2, v2 - v3, v3) is also linearly independent
What is the definition of "linearly independent"?

What are some members of P(|F)? (In other words how is it defined? What is the definition of "subspace"?

Do you see a pattern here?

4) Let U,V be subspaces of F^7, such that U and the direct sum of V = F^7. if dim U=3, show that dim V=4.
(ii) does this remain true if all we know is that U+V=F^7 ?

i'm new at this, I've been reading the textbooks and what have you, but I'm not seeing the answers.

thx[/QUOTE]

InbredDummy said:

k, here is what i got so far:
(i) let U=a+b+cx^2
and let V=cx^2

they are both 2 dimensional subspaces of P(|F) but are obviously disjoint and therefore different

(ii)
no clue here on this one. how can it be infinitely dimensional but able to be written down? would it just be x^(infinity)?

U is a polynomial, as is V. If you mean a set of polynomials say so. If V is supposed to be the set of polys { cx^2 : c in F} then that is not a two dimensional vector space. What is the definition of dimension? It is not, as you seem to think, 'the exponent of x in a polynomial'. You see why we hammered home the message that you need to know what the definitions are?

HINT: the even integers are an infinite subset of all integers.

1. What is linear algebra and why is it important?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It is important because it provides a foundation for many other mathematical fields such as machine learning, computer graphics, and statistics. It also has many applications in real-world problems like optimization and data analysis.

2. What are the key concepts that I should focus on when learning linear algebra?

Some key concepts to focus on when learning linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and solving systems of linear equations. It is also important to understand how these concepts relate to each other and how they can be applied in various situations.

3. Can I learn linear algebra on my own without any prior knowledge?

Yes, it is possible to learn linear algebra on your own without any prior knowledge. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic algebra and geometry concepts before diving into linear algebra. It may also be helpful to have some background in calculus, but it is not necessary.

4. What are some resources that can help me learn linear algebra on my own?

Some resources that can help you learn linear algebra on your own include textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. There are also many online forums and communities where you can ask questions and get help from others who are also learning linear algebra.

5. How much time should I dedicate to learning linear algebra on my own?

The amount of time it takes to learn linear algebra on your own may vary depending on your prior knowledge and learning style. It is important to set aside dedicated time every day or week to study and practice. With consistent effort and practice, you can expect to have a good understanding of linear algebra in a few months.