Linear Algebra Review: Books to Refresh Memory

In summary, the individual is seeking a resource to refresh their knowledge of linear algebra. They currently have the Springer yellow book by Curtis, but are considering other options such as a Schaum's outline, Dover books, and the yellow book by Axler. They ultimately decide to get the Schaum's and add the Dover book by Shilov for free shipping. The individual also mentions having webnotes that cover more material in fewer pages and are free.
Daverz
My linear algebra is getting pretty rusty. I need something that will jog my memory about various computational details. The only text I currently have is the Springer yellow book by Curtis. I'm leaning toward a Schaum's outline, either the straight "Linear Algebra" one or the "3000 Solved Problems" one, but there are also half a dozen Dover books that also look likely. The yellow book by Axler also seems to be popular here; that looks like more of a straight through type of read than a reference, but perhaps I'm wrong. Any books I'm overlooking?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, I got the Schaum's and added the Dover by Shilov to get the free shipping from Amazon.

my webnotes are free, and cover more material in fewer pages than any other source.

1. What is the purpose of the book "Linear Algebra Review"?

The purpose of "Linear Algebra Review" is to help refresh the reader's memory on linear algebra concepts and techniques. It is meant to serve as a review for those who have previously studied linear algebra and need a refresher before moving on to more advanced topics.

2. Is "Linear Algebra Review" suitable for beginners?

No, "Linear Algebra Review" is not suitable for beginners. It is intended for readers who already have a basic understanding of linear algebra and need a review of the material.

3. What topics are covered in "Linear Algebra Review"?

"Linear Algebra Review" covers topics such as vector spaces, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. It also includes exercises and examples to reinforce the concepts.

4. Can "Linear Algebra Review" be used as a textbook for a course?

While "Linear Algebra Review" can be used as a supplement for a course, it is not meant to be a standalone textbook. It is better suited for self-study or as a review before taking a more advanced course in linear algebra.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading "Linear Algebra Review"?

Yes, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of algebra and calculus before reading "Linear Algebra Review". This will help the reader better understand the concepts and examples presented in the book.