Applications of Derivatives of Trig. Functions

In summary, the voltage, V, in volts, in an electrical outlet is given by the function V = 156\cos(120 \pi t). The rate of change of voltage with respect to time is given by \frac{dV}{dt} = -18720\pi\sin(120 \pi t). The rate of change is zero at all times t = \frac{n}{120}, and the maximum rate of change is 18720\pi volts/second.
Jacobpm64
The voltage, V, in volts, in an electrical outlet is given as a function of time, t, in seconds, by the function [tex]V = 156\cos(120 \pi t)[/tex].

(a) Give an expression for the rate of change of voltage with respect to time.
(b) Is the rate of change ever zero? Explain.
(c) What is the maximum value of the rate of change?

Here's my attempts:
(a) This one is easy.
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = 156(-\sin(120 \pi *t))(120\pi)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = -18720\pi\sin(120 \pi *t) [/tex]

(b) This one is more tough.
The rate of change is zero at some times. (I don't know how to explain.).. I could probably just say that since the original function is a cosine function, at every peak and trough, the rate of change will be zero because the derivative at that point is zero.

(c) I'm not sure about this one. Wouldn't the maximum rate of change be the point of inflection?
So, we can just think of the graph of the original function, and since it has a period of 1/60, and a cosine function starts at (0,1) and goes downwards, we should be able to divide the period by 4 to get the point of inflection with negative slope. So, the point of inflection with positive slope would be the period times 3/4. So, one of the points of inflection is at x = 1/80.

Now we just need to find the rate of change at that point because it will be the maximum rate of change.
So, I suppose we could plug x = 1/80 into the derivative equation.

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = -18720\pi\sin{120\pi(\frac{1}{80})} = 18720\pi[/tex] or [tex]58810.6145[/tex] volts/second
Are these correct? I'm not sure about my approach to them.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that this is [tex] V = 156\cos{120 \pi t} [/tex]

(b) Solve [tex] \frac{dV}{dt} = 0 [/tex]

(c) Set [tex] \frac{d^{2} V}{dt^{2}} = 0 [/tex] to find critical points.

Last edited:
All right.. so assuming part a is correct:

(b) [tex]-18720 \pi \sin(120 \pi t) = 0[/tex]
[tex] \sin(120 \pi t) = 0 [/tex]

I forgot how to solve this (using the inverse sine but i forget exactly).

(c) [tex] \frac{d^2 V}{dt^2} = -18720 \pi \cos(120 \pi t) * 120 \pi [/tex]
[tex] \frac{d^2 V}{dt^2} = -18720(120) \pi ^2 \cos(120 \pi t) [/tex]
[tex] -18720(120) \pi ^2 \cos(120 \pi t) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \cos(120 \pi t) = 0 [/tex]

Again, I forgot how to solve this.

Thanks for the help in advance.

[tex] \sin(120 \pi t) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \arcsin(\sin(120\pi t) = \arcsin(0) [/tex]

[tex] 120\pi t = 0 + n\pi [/tex][tex] \arccos(\cos(120\pi t) = \arccos(0) [/tex]

[tex] 120\pi t = \frac{\pi}{2} + n\pi [/tex]

All right, I'll continue..

(b) [tex] \sin(120 \pi t) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \arcsin (\sin (120 \pi t) = \arcsin (0) [/tex]
[tex] 120 \pi t = 0 = n \pi [/tex]
[tex] t = \frac{n \pi }{120 \pi } = \frac{n}{120} [/tex]
Yes, it is zero at all times [tex] t = \frac{n}{120} [/tex]. The rate of change is zero at these points because the derivative at the points is zero.

(c) [tex] \arccos(\cos(120\pi t) = \arccos(0) [/tex]
[tex] 120\pi t = \frac{\pi}{2} + n\pi [/tex]
[tex] t = \frac{1}{240} + \frac{n}{120} [/tex]
So, the rate of change is max at all these points. But, they are asking for the maximum rate of change, so i'll try 2 values, since one will be the minimum rate of change, and the next will be the maximum rate of change.

[tex]V'(0) = -18720\pi \sin(120 \pi * (\frac{1}{240} + \frac{0}{120})) = -18720 \pi \approx -58810.6145[/tex] <---- this is the minimum rate of change

So, I'll try the next number to get the maximum rate of change.
[tex]V'(1) = -18720\pi \sin(120 \pi * (\frac{1}{240} + \frac{1}{120})) = 18720 \pi \approx 58810.6145[/tex] <---- this is the maximum rate of change

Looks good now? Same answers as before lol, just a lot more work :biggrin:

1. What are the applications of derivatives of trigonometric functions?

The applications of derivatives of trigonometric functions are found in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, engineering, and more. They are used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as motion, waves, and oscillations.

2. How are derivatives of trigonometric functions used in physics?

In physics, derivatives of trigonometric functions are used to describe the motion of objects. For example, the first derivative of a sine function represents the velocity of an object undergoing simple harmonic motion, while the second derivative represents the acceleration.

3. Can derivatives of trigonometric functions be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, derivatives of trigonometric functions can be applied to real-life situations. For instance, they can be used to model the motion of a pendulum or a spring, which are both common occurrences in our daily lives.

4. How do derivatives of trigonometric functions help in solving engineering problems?

Derivatives of trigonometric functions are commonly used in engineering to optimize designs and analyze systems. They can be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function, which is crucial in designing efficient structures and systems.

5. Are there any practical applications of derivatives of trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are many practical applications of derivatives of trigonometric functions. Some examples include calculating the rate of change of temperature in a room, determining the rate of change of voltage in an AC circuit, and finding the optimal angle for launching a projectile.