Exploring the Night Sky: Observing the Current Comet

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comet
In summary, the conversation discusses viewing the comet using binoculars in a small city, with a recommendation to look in the West/Northwest direction around 8-9pm. The comet is currently inside the 'keystone' of Hercules and will be near epsilon Herc tonight. The duration of visibility may be affected by cloudy skies. The person also asks for links to help them view other objects such as comets, asteroids, and galaxies.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I saw the comet earlier tonight using 15x70 binoculars in the middle of a small city. It's a brighter than (and not too far from) M13, and should be a fairly easy naked eye object in semi-dark skies.

Anyone had any good views?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
In what direction should i be looking for it? I'v recenty moved to a more darker part of the area here in seattle in which i have a fairly better view of the night sky.

Currently about West/NorthWest around 8pm-9pm

Still inside the 'keystone' of Hercules

Will be within a degree of epsilon Herc tonight

Last edited:
how long is this comet going to be in view (we have been having cloudy skies)? any good links that will help me see what else is up there, (comets, asteroids, galaxies)?

Last edited:

1. What is a comet?

A comet is a small, icy object that orbits around the sun. When it comes close to the sun, the heat causes the comet's ice to melt and create a bright tail visible from Earth.

2. Where can I see the comet?

The location of a comet in the sky changes over time as it orbits the sun. To see the comet, you can use a star chart or a sky mapping app to find its current position in the sky.

3. How often do comets appear?

The frequency of comets varies, but on average, one comet can be seen with the naked eye every 5-10 years. However, smaller comets may be visible more frequently.

4. How long will the comet be visible?

The visibility of a comet depends on its orbit and how close it comes to the sun. Some comets are only visible for a few days, while others can be seen for several weeks or even months.

5. Is it safe to view the comet with the naked eye?

Yes, it is safe to view the comet with the naked eye. However, it is always recommended to use proper eye protection when observing any celestial object, especially when using binoculars or telescopes.