Intro to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths

In summary, the individual is a third year student studying introductory quantum and received a 56% on their midterm. They are looking for additional material as they do not like their current textbook, Intro to quantum Physics by French. They have had recommendations for Griffiths, but their school's library does not have it. They are hesitant to spend $100 on a book they may not use. Their question is whether Griffiths is a good book for intro quantum and if it is worth the price. The advice given is to download it from the internet and judge for themselves, with a suggestion to use Shareaza.
ultimateguy
I'm in 3rd year intro to quantum, and I just got a 56% on my midterm. I'm looking for more material because my current textbook is Intro to quantum Physics by French and I really don't like it. I've had certain people recommend Griffiths but unfortunately my school's library doesn't have it. I was thinking of buying but I'm very apprehensive about spending another $100 which I don't have for a book I might use.

So my question is: Is Griffiths a good book for intro quantum, and if so is it worth the price?

Physics news on Phys.org
my advice is to get it from the internet and judge for yourself

What do you mean by get it from the internet?

download it from say emule or bit torrent.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/456060

A god suggestion if there ever was one. I'd suggest Shareaza.

1. What is the purpose of "Intro to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths"?

"Intro to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths" is a textbook that aims to introduce readers to the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics, a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level.

2. Who is the intended audience for this book?

This book is generally intended for undergraduate or graduate students who have a basic understanding of classical mechanics and linear algebra. It can also be useful for researchers or professionals in other fields who wish to gain a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics.

3. What topics are covered in "Intro to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths"?

The book covers a range of topics including the wave-particle duality of matter, the Schrödinger equation, quantum states and operators, the uncertainty principle, quantization of energy, and various applications of quantum mechanics such as atomic and molecular physics, and nuclear physics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding this book?

As mentioned before, a basic understanding of classical mechanics and linear algebra is recommended. Some familiarity with calculus and differential equations can also be helpful in understanding certain concepts and equations in the book.

5. What makes "Intro to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths" a popular textbook for learning quantum mechanics?

This book is known for its clear and concise explanations of complex concepts, numerous examples and practice problems, and its emphasis on the physical intuition behind quantum mechanics rather than just mathematical formalism. It is also well-organized and covers a wide range of topics, making it a comprehensive resource for students and researchers alike.