Centripetal force Rotor-ride problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the minimum coefficient of friction needed for a person to not slip down the wall of a "Rotor-ride" at a carnival. The correct equation is set up using the normal force and solving for the coefficient of friction. The value is found to be 0.103.
Gauss177

Homework Statement

In a "Rotor-ride" at a carnival, riders are pressed against the inside wall of a vertical cylinder 2.0m in radius rotating at a speed of 1.1 revolutions per second when the floor drops out. What minimum coefficient of friction is needed so a person won't slip down? Is this safe?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set friction equal to the net force and then solved for mu, which I'm not sure is right or not:

[tex]umg = m(v^2/r)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure about the 2.0m? That seems awfully small compared to the ones I have seen.

In any case, your equation is not correct. The centripetal force is provided by the wall pushing the people inward, not by frcition. The friction keeps them from sliding down the wall.

Yeah the book says 2.0 meters.

For the person to not slide down the wall, the force of friction must equal the force of gravity, right? So do I just do:

[tex]F_fr = F_g[/tex]
[tex]umg = mg[/tex]

But then mg cancels out and u = 1? That doesn't seem right.

Gauss177 said:
Yeah the book says 2.0 meters.

For the person to not slide down the wall, the force of friction must equal the force of gravity, right? So do I just do:

[tex]F_{fr} = F_g[/tex]
[tex]umg = mg[/tex]

But then mg cancels out and u = 1? That doesn't seem right.

It is not right. The frictional force has no connection to mg in this problem except that it has to be equal to mg to hold the people in place. Your first equation is good. Your second one is not.

Although mg often appears in friction calculations, it is not the force in F_f = μ____. What belongs in the space?

Last edited:
I have no idea. :/ I thought friction was just u*normal? But then where does the 1.1 revolutions per second come from? Thanks for the help

Ok I figured out how to do this problem

[tex]F_f = F_g[/tex]
[tex]mg = uF_n[/tex]
[tex]mg = m(v^2/r)*u[/tex]
[tex]u = .103[/tex]

thanks olderdan

Gauss177 said:
I have no idea. :/ I thought friction was just u*normal? But then where does the 1.1 revolutions per second come from? Thanks for the help

But you do have an idea :smile: It is the normal force and as you have now realized, the normal force in this problem is not equal to mg.

Gauss177 said:
Ok I figured out how to do this problem

[tex]F_f = F_g[/tex]
[tex]mg = uF_n[/tex]
[tex]mg = m(v^2/r)*u[/tex]
[tex]u = .103[/tex]

thanks olderdan

That's it. For anyone else who might be looking here, the normal force in this problem is from the wall pressing in on the people to keep them in circular motion. It is the centripetal force

[tex]F_n = m(v^2/r)[/tex]

which can be seen from the equations in the quote.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a type of force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, and always points towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a curved path instead of a straight line.

2. What is the "Rotor-ride" problem?

The "Rotor-ride" problem is a physics problem that involves a person standing inside a rotating cylinder, experiencing a centrifugal force against the walls of the cylinder. The goal is to determine the speed of the cylinder at which the person will be able to stick to the wall without sliding down.

3. How does the centripetal force affect the "Rotor-ride" problem?

The centripetal force is what enables the person to stick to the wall of the rotating cylinder in the "Rotor-ride" problem. As the cylinder spins faster, the centripetal force increases, making it easier for the person to stick to the wall.

4. What factors affect the centripetal force in the "Rotor-ride" problem?

The centripetal force in the "Rotor-ride" problem is affected by the speed of the rotating cylinder, the mass and velocity of the person inside, and the radius of the cylinder. A larger radius and faster speed will result in a greater centripetal force.

5. How is the "Rotor-ride" problem related to real-world applications?

The "Rotor-ride" problem has real-world applications in amusement park rides, such as the Gravitron or the Round-Up, where people experience a centrifugal force similar to the one in the problem. It also has applications in understanding the forces involved in circular motion, which can be seen in sports such as figure skating and car racing.