Clifford algebra isomorphic to tensor algebra or exterior algebra?

In summary, there is a possible misprint in the paper regarding the isomorphism between the Clifford algebra C(V) and the tensor algebra Lambda(V). The author also mentions the antisymmetric tensor algebra as another name for Lambda(V). It is noted that while they are always isomorphic as vector spaces, they may not be isomorphic as algebras unless the Clifford algebra is built from the zero quadratic form. However, a second product can be defined on Lambda(V) to make it isomorphic to Cl(V).
precondition
Unfortunately there seems to be a misprint in the paper I'm reading which is an introduction to clifford algebra, it says:(I highlighted in red possible misprint, either one of them has to be true misprint if you know what I mean)

The Clifford algebra C(V) is isomorphic to the tensor algebra Lambda(V) and is therefore a 2^{dim(V)} dimensional vector space with generators blah blah blah...

Now, I know C(V) is defined as T(V)/I with you know what "I" so I'm wondering how can there be isomorphism between C(V) and T(V) but on the other hand dimension 2^{dim(V)} is indeed dimension of tensor algebra right? Also the author said tensor algebra but then wrote Lambda...-_-

I'm confused~~

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the names for [itex]\Lambda(V)[/itex] is the "antisymmetric tensor algebra (over V)".

Incidentally, while they are always isomorphic as vector spaces, I think they are only isomorphic as algebras when the Clifford algebra is built from the zero quadratic form.

Hurkyl said:
Incidentally, while they are always isomorphic as vector spaces, I think they are only isomorphic as algebras when the Clifford algebra is built from the zero quadratic form.

Yes.

Somtimes the vector space isomorphism between [itex]Cl(V)[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda(V)[/itex] is exploited by defining a second product on (vector space) [itex]\Lambda(V)[/itex] that makes (vector space) [itex]\Lambda(V)[/itex] with new product isomorphic to [itex]Cl(V).[/itex]

1. What is Clifford algebra?

Clifford algebra is a mathematical structure that extends the properties of vector spaces to include elements that are products of vectors, such as the dot product and cross product. It is a powerful tool for representing and manipulating geometric and physical quantities.

2. How is Clifford algebra related to tensor algebra and exterior algebra?

Clifford algebra is isomorphic to both tensor algebra and exterior algebra. This means that they have the same underlying structure and can be thought of as different representations of the same mathematical object. However, each algebra has its own unique properties and applications.

3. What are the advantages of using Clifford algebra over tensor algebra or exterior algebra?

One of the main advantages of Clifford algebra is its ability to represent geometric and physical quantities in a more intuitive and compact way. It also has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and computer science.

4. Are there any applications of Clifford algebra in science?

Yes, Clifford algebra has numerous applications in science, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, signal processing, computer graphics, and robotics. It is also used in theoretical physics and engineering.

5. Is Clifford algebra difficult to understand?

Like any mathematical concept, understanding Clifford algebra requires some background knowledge and practice. However, with a solid foundation in linear algebra and a good understanding of its properties and applications, Clifford algebra can be easily understood and applied in various fields of science.