How Can I Evaluate This Line Integral Using Curl and Double Integrals?

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating a line integral over a curve using the formula ∫F∙dr. The curve is defined as r(t) = <sint, cost, sin2t, 0 ≤t≤2π and the function F = <y + sinx, z^2cosy,x^3>. The conversation also mentions using the formula ∫∫curlF∙nds to solve the integral, where n is the normal vector to the surface z = 2xy and curl F is -2zi-3x^2j +k. The boundaries of integration are determined to be 0≤y≤1 and 0≤x≤1, and
bodensee9
Could someone help me with the following? I am asked to evaluate the line integral of ∫(y + sin x)dx + (z^2+cosy)dy +x^3dz where C is the curve r(t) = <sint, cost, sin2t, 0 ≤t≤2π.

Doesn’t this equal to ∫F∙dr where F = <y + sinx, z^2cosy,x^3> and r = <x,y,z>? So wouldn’t ∫F∙dr = ∫∫curlF∙nds where n is the normal vector to the surface z = 2xy (from the parametric equation, z = 2xy).

I got that curl F is -2zi-3x^2j +k, and that n is 2xi + 2yj –k. So if you take the dot product, you would get -4zx – 6x^2y -1, and if you were to want to substitute for z you would get -8x^2y – 6x^2y -1 or -14x^2y -1.

But I’m not sure what the boundaries of integration is other than that x seems to be between 0 and 1, and y seems to be between 0 and 1 as well? So would the double integral be ∫∫-14x^2y-1dxdy where 0≤y≤1 and 0≤x≤1? Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Or actually, on further thought, could you represent integral as ∫∫(-14(cosθ)^2(sinθ)-1)rdrdθ where r is between 0 and 1 and θ is between 0 and 2pi?

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the total value of a function along a given curve or path. It takes into account both the magnitude of the function and the direction of the curve.

What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve in a two-dimensional plane, while a line integral calculates the value of a function along a curve in a three-dimensional space.

How is a line integral evaluated?

A line integral is evaluated by breaking the curve into smaller segments, approximating each segment as a straight line, and then summing up the values of the function at each point along the curve.

What is the significance of the direction of the curve in a line integral?

The direction of the curve in a line integral is important because it determines the sign of the integral. If the curve is traversed in the same direction as the parameterization, the integral is positive. If the curve is traversed in the opposite direction, the integral is negative.

What are some real-world applications of line integrals?

Line integrals are used in physics to calculate work done by a force along a curved path, in engineering to calculate the flow of fluids along a pipe, and in economics to calculate the total cost of production along a production line.