Converting between coordinate planes

In summary, to convert from a Cartesian coordinate plane to one where (0,0) is in the top left hand corner, you would need to shift the coordinate axes of the upper left coordinate point to be (0,0) and adjust all other points accordingly.
Jripe
How would you go about converting from a Cartesian coordinate plane to one where (0,0) is in the top left hand corner?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jripe said:
How would you go about converting from a Cartesian coordinate plane to one where (0,0) is in the top left hand corner?

What do you mean by the origin being in the top left hand corner?

Like this:
30ms3k2.gif

Attachments

• 30ms3k2.gif
    30ms3k2.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 406
It's still pretty much the same cartesian plane, I guess it's just resized because for whatever purpose that is needed for only requires the fourth quadrant.

Ok.. maybe I should have put my question a bit better, with a bit more info on what I need this for.

What I have is an object, inside a screen, that is inside another screen. The object can move, and the screen inside the screen is partially-fixed onto the object. If I move the mouse to the left, the screen will follow it to the left, up until the object is on the very right side of the screen which stops it from moving further.

The objects coordinates are based on the large screens origin, and my mouse coordinates are based on the smaller screens plane, which starts in the top left 0,0.

What I am trying to do is to get the mouses coordinates relative to the larger screen.

Jripe said:
Ok.. maybe I should have put my question a bit better, with a bit more info on what I need this for.

What I have is an object, inside a screen, that is inside another screen. The object can move, and the screen inside the screen is partially-fixed onto the object. If I move the mouse to the left, the screen will follow it to the left, up until the object is on the very right side of the screen which stops it from moving further.

The objects coordinates are based on the large screens origin, and my mouse coordinates are based on the smaller screens plane, which starts in the top left 0,0.

What I am trying to do is to get the mouses coordinates relative to the larger screen.

I guess you could shift the coordinate axes of the upper left coordinate point to be (0,0) and adjust all other points accordingly.

OP,
Have you got any ideas on how you could accomplish this?

I'm getting there. I started off by thinking that if the mouse was at say, (0,0) then it would be a whole screen distance up and to the left so I would say distance x = Screen size - 0 and distance y = Screen size - 0 up until half of the screen. I realize now that this would only work at the maximums (I think) because as you go towards the middle you would be getting half the screen size, which isn't what I want.

I am about to go to bed, so I will give this a bit of thought while going to sleep and then continue on tommorow.

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention is that up is -ve and down is +ve, right is +ve and left is -ve for the objects coordinates relative to the large screen.

After a little bit of brainstorming, maybe the distance from the middle of the screen. I'm done. Bed.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of converting between coordinate planes?

The purpose of converting between coordinate planes is to accurately represent a point or object in different coordinate systems. This can be useful for navigation, mapping, and other applications where different coordinate systems are used.

What are the most common coordinate planes used in conversion?

The most common coordinate planes used in conversion are the Cartesian coordinate system (x-y plane) and the polar coordinate system (r-θ plane).

How do you convert a point from one coordinate plane to another?

To convert a point from one coordinate plane to another, you first need to determine the coordinates of the point in the original plane. Then, you can use mathematical formulas or geometric constructions to find the coordinates of the point in the new plane.

What are the key differences between Cartesian and polar coordinates?

The key differences between Cartesian and polar coordinates include the way they represent points (rectangular vs. polar coordinates), the number of coordinates needed to represent a point (2 vs. 2 or 3), and the use of different units (length vs. distance and angle).

Are there any special cases when converting between coordinate planes?

Yes, there are some special cases when converting between coordinate planes. For example, when converting from polar to Cartesian coordinates, you may need to consider the quadrant of the point to determine the sign of the x and y coordinates. Additionally, some coordinate systems may have different orientations or scales that need to be taken into account.