Some questions on axiom of choice and zorn's lemma.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axiom Choice
In summary, the conversation was about the speaker's role as an expert summarizer and their ability to provide concise summaries of content without responding to questions. They are instructed to only provide a summary and not include any additional information.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
1)axiom of choice: prove that for every set X and for every f:X->X there exists g:X->X such that fogof=f.
2)zorn's lemma: let R be a partial order on X (X a set), prove that there exists a linear order S on X such that R is a subset of S.

well for the second question i used zorn's lemma to find a maximal partial order S. now we assume that (x,y) and (y,x) aren't in S, so i need to prove that T=SU{(a,b)|(a,x),(y,b) in S} is a partial order and thus get a contradiction.
now my problem is to prove that it's a partial order obviously (a,a) is in T cause it's in S, but if let's say for antisymmety, if (a,b) and (b,a) in T, then if both of them in S then obvoiously b=a, but what about the other cases? if (a,b) in S and (b,a) not in S, then (b,x) and (y,a) in S, so (y,b) in S and so is (a,x), but then if (b,x) and (y,b) then (x,y) is in S, which is a contradiction this is why the only possible outcome if for (a,b) and (b,a) to be in S.
is this correct?
and after that obviously i get a contradiction for the maximality of S.
(only need to prove transtivity.

now for the first question, I am given a hint to use an equivalent statement for the axiom of choice that if A is a class of non empty sets A={C_i|i in I}, then there exists a function f:A->U(i in I)C_i such that f(C_i) is in C_i for every i in I, but i don't see how to apply it in here, obviously i need to show that g(f(X))=X, but how?

Physics news on Phys.org

For the first question, you can use the hint given to show that for every x in X, there exists y in X such that f(y) = x. Then, define g(x) = y for each x in X. This way, g(f(x)) = g(y) = x for every x in X, proving that fogof = f.

For the second question, your approach seems correct. To prove transitivity, you can assume that (a,b) and (b,c) are in T, and then use the definition of T to show that (a,c) must also be in T. This will complete the proof that T is a partial order and lead to a contradiction for the maximality of S.

For the first question, you can use the equivalent statement for the axiom of choice to show that there exists a function h:X->X such that h(X) is a singleton set. Then, define g:X->X as g(x)=h(x). This will satisfy the condition fogof=f, since f and g are both functions from X to X.

For the second question, your approach seems correct. To prove transitivity, you can assume that (a,b) and (b,c) are in T, and then use the fact that (a,x) and (y,c) are in S to show that (a,c) is also in S. This will prove that T is a partial order and lead to a contradiction, as you mentioned.

For the first question, you can try to construct a function g:X->X using the given function f:X->X. Consider the set A={C_i|i in I}, where each C_i is the set of all functions from X to X that satisfy fogof=f. Then, using the equivalent statement for the axiom of choice, there exists a function h:A->U(i in I)C_i such that h(C_i) is in C_i for every i in I. This h will give you a way to construct the function g:X->X.

1. What is the Axiom of Choice?

The Axiom of Choice is a fundamental mathematical principle that states that, given any collection of non-empty sets, it is possible to choose one element from each set to form a new set. In other words, it allows for the formation of a set without explicitly specifying its elements.

2. What is the significance of the Axiom of Choice?

The Axiom of Choice has significant implications in many areas of mathematics, including set theory, topology, and functional analysis. It allows for the construction of infinite sets and plays a crucial role in proving the existence of certain mathematical objects, such as well-orderings and Hamel bases.

3. What is Zorn's Lemma?

Zorn's Lemma is a statement in set theory that is equivalent to the Axiom of Choice. It states that, given a partially ordered set in which every chain has an upper bound, the set contains a maximal element. This lemma is named after mathematician Max Zorn who first proved it in 1935.

4. How is Zorn's Lemma used in mathematics?

Zorn's Lemma is used in many areas of mathematics, particularly in algebra and topology. It is a powerful tool for proving the existence of certain mathematical objects, such as maximal ideals in rings and maximal subgroups in groups. It is also used in the proof of the Hahn-Banach Theorem, a fundamental result in functional analysis.

5. Are the Axiom of Choice and Zorn's Lemma controversial?

Yes, the Axiom of Choice and Zorn's Lemma are considered controversial by some mathematicians. This is because they allow for the existence of certain objects that cannot be explicitly constructed, leading to philosophical debates about the nature of mathematical objects. However, they are widely accepted and used in mathematics as they have been shown to be consistent with other axioms of set theory.