Curl of a Div of a Green's Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the Green's function for the Laplacian and its properties, specifically the div of the curl. The conclusion is that the div of the curl is always equal to zero for any vector, regardless of whether the function is the Green's function or not.
pqnelson
Okey Dokey, so I'm bored and decided to play around with some math. I've got a problem that I can't figure out now; I have the green's function for the laplacian

[tex]G(\vec{x}, \vec{x'}) = - \frac{1}{4\pi |\vec{x} - \vec{x'}|}[/tex]

There are no boundary conditions.

Is there any lazy way to figure out the div of the curl of the green's function, or do I have to do some work on this one?

[EDIT]: The lack of coffee is getting to me, it's the curl of a gradient of the green's function.

Physics news on Phys.org
div(curl(A))=0 for any vector A

The OP editted it to curl(grad f) but it easy to show that that is 0 also!

[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc} \vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\ f_x & f_y & f_z \end{array} \right|= \vec{0}[/tex]

It doesn't matter whether the function is Green's function or not.

1. What is the Curl of a Div of a Green's Function?

The Curl of a Div of a Green's Function is a mathematical operation that is used to calculate the vector field that describes the rotation of a vector field. It is a combination of the curl and divergence operations, and can be used to solve certain types of differential equations.

2. How is the Curl of a Div of a Green's Function used in science?

The Curl of a Div of a Green's Function is used in many areas of science, particularly in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, and is an important tool in understanding the behavior of vector fields in these fields.

3. What is the relationship between the Curl of a Div of a Green's Function and Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the line integral of a vector field to the double integral of its curl. The Curl of a Div of a Green's Function is closely related to Green's Theorem, as it involves both the curl and divergence operations.

4. Can the Curl of a Div of a Green's Function be calculated analytically?

Yes, the Curl of a Div of a Green's Function can be calculated analytically using mathematical formulas and techniques. However, in more complex situations, it may be necessary to use numerical methods or computer simulations to calculate the Curl of a Div of a Green's Function.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Curl of a Div of a Green's Function?

The Curl of a Div of a Green's Function has many practical applications, such as in the design of aerodynamic systems, the analysis of electromagnetic fields, and the study of fluid flow in pipes and channels. It is also used in the development of computer graphics and simulations, as well as in the solution of various engineering and physics problems.