Integral test, basic comparsion test, limit comparsion test

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to infinite series and using the integral test, basic comparison test, and limit comparison test to solve it. The problem involves comparing (a_k)/k with 1/k^2 and making use of the fact that the sum of (a_k)^2 converges. The conversation suggests using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality or finding a similar proof without it. Ultimately, the group agrees that the limit comparison test is the best approach to solving the problem.
kingwinner
1) http://www.geocities.com/asdfasdf23135/calculus02.JPG

This question comes from a section (infinite series) related to the integral test, basic comparsion test, and limit comparsion test, so I believe that I have to use one of them. However, I seriously have no idea how to prove this...can someone give me some hints or guidelines on how to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare ak/k with 1/k2!

But I don't know what a_k is, how can I know which of (a_k)/k and 1/k^2 is bigger?

And also, how can we make use of the fact that Sigma (a_k)^2 converges?

Last edited:
I vaguely recall that the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality was useful in a problem similar to this. Or possibly the same problem. I forget.

I haven't learned the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality in this course, is there any way to prove without it?

I don't know of any off the top of my head. Sorry. But you might look for versions that you could prove relatively easily from what you know. Said inequality comes in many different flavors.

Any hints? Can someone please help me?

use the limit comparison test...

if lim(n->infinity) of (a_k/k)/(a^2_k) = L > 0 (is greater than zero because a_k has all nonnegative terms) and sum of (a^2_k) converges (which it says it does), then sum of (a_k/k) must converge by the limit comparison test

lim(n->infinity) of (a_k/k)/(a^2_k)= lim of 1/(k*a_k) which is greater than zero
...if you didn't get the limit part

But lim(n->infinity) of (a_k/k)/(a^2_k) might not even exist, so how can you use the limit comparsion test?

This is SO exactly Cauchy-Schwarz (as Mystic998 pointed out). If A is the infinite dimensional vector with components a_k (under the usual L_2 norm) and B is 1/k then this is the same as A.B<=|A|*|B|. A.B is what we want to prove finite, |A| is given to be finite and |B| is known to be finite. QED. If you want to prove this without CS I do think you need to find a proof of CS and modify it to this special case.

no the limit has to exist because the only way it wouldn't was if a_k or k were 0, which would make the summations pretty stupid because adding up infinitely many terms of 0 obviously converges to 0, or the limit could equal infinity which does satisfy the test (L>0). I'm telling you man limit comparison is the way to go. almost positive.

I think if you want to apply the limit comparison test to (a_k/k)/(a^2_k) to conclude a_k/k converges you need to show that the limit is zero. Not greater than zero.

1. What is the Integral test?

The Integral test is a method for determining the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves comparing the series to the integral of a related function and using properties of integrals to make a conclusion about the series.

2. How is the Integral test used?

The Integral test is used by finding the integral of a related function and then comparing it to the original series. If the integral converges, then so does the series. If the integral diverges, then so does the series. This allows us to determine the convergence or divergence of a series without actually adding up all of the terms.

3. What is the basic comparison test?

The basic comparison test is a method for determining the convergence or divergence of an infinite series by comparing it to another series with known convergence or divergence. If the comparison series converges, then so does the original series. If the comparison series diverges, then no conclusion can be made about the original series.

4. How is the basic comparison test used?

The basic comparison test is used by finding a known series that is either larger or smaller than the original series and then using the properties of inequalities to make a conclusion about the convergence or divergence of the original series.

5. What is the limit comparison test?

The limit comparison test is a method for determining the convergence or divergence of an infinite series by comparing it to another series and taking the limit of the ratio between the two series. If the limit is a positive, finite value, then the two series have the same convergence or divergence. If the limit is 0 or infinity, then the two series do not have the same convergence or divergence.